'in the front' vs. 'in front' vs. 'at the front'

Hello everybody

These are confusing!
1- In the front.
2- At the front
3- In front etc.

• She wanted to sit-----------the car so I sat--------it.
    (What should I use? I mean to say front and back seats)

If I am not mistaken “in front of” and “at the back” of would be correct but with different meanings.It would mean that both people were outside the car, wouldn’t it?

Please enlighten me!

Ever yours

Tom

Hi Tom

I’d say:
She wanted to sit in the front (seat) so I sat in the back (of the car).
You could also say “up front” (but without the word “seat”)

If you are in front of the car, then you are outside the car (probably gazing at the headlights :lol:) - as you’ve already correctly surmised.
In back of the car would be also be outside, but this time you’d be gazing at the brake lights. :lol:

At the back of the car is (in my opinion) probably outside, but not necessarily. I think I would probably use that more with something that’s actually part of or attached to or touching the car.

At the front of the car the opposite of “at the back”

Amy

Thank you, Amy

Sitting up front in the car (or)
Sitting up front the car

What about up back ? :smiley:

Tom

Hi Tom

I’d only use “up front” in a situation where in the car is already clear. And that’s usually the case when the details of where people want to sit in the car is spoken about.
"I hate sitting up front when he’s behind the wheel (because he drives like a maniac and sitting up front is much more frightening than sitting in the back). " :smiley:

No, “up back” is not a possibility. The word “up” is often used in the sense of “forward” and that’s why it works with “front” but not “back”.

Sitting up front the car => NO :shock:

Amy