In our schools students are not allowed...

Hi everyone,

Are the following sentences correct?

• In our schools students are not allowed to show any symbolism of their political conviction or religious beliefs, be it in the form of necklaces, brooches, T-shirts, caps, earrings, body piercings, tattoos or clothing.

• In our schools students are not allowed to wear necklaces, brooches, T-shirts, caps, earrings, body piercings, tattoos or clothing that show their political conviction or religious beliefs.

Thanks
Alexandro

I’d use ‘symbols’ rather than ‘symbolism’ in the first sentence. I’d also use a comma after school(s).
I’d prefer the first of the two, because strictly speaking, ‘wear’ cannot apply to piercings and tattoos.
As I’ve indicated before I’m not keen on the use of ‘be it in the form of’ and would prefer ‘including’.

Thanks Beeesneees, but I think I may have another sentences:

• In our schools, necklaces, brooches, T-shirts, caps, earrings, body piercings, tattoos or clothing that show students’ political convictions or religious beliefs are prohibited.

Do you have a better or more natural sentence, Beeesneees?

That’s okay (as long as you mean more than one school).

Hi,

To make the sentence clearer I would put ‘in our schools’ at the end of the sentence. This avoids the idea that ‘in’ relates to ‘schools’ and ‘necklaces, brooches’ and so on.

Alan

Thanks Beeesneees and Alan. Yes, Beeesneees, I mean every school prohibits these symbols. Alan would the following sentence be correct: ‘Necklaces, brooches, T-shirts, caps, earrings, body piercings, tattoos or clothing that show students’ political convictions and religious beliefs are prohibited in our schools.’? Is this what you mean. Thanks, Alexandro.

Yes,

Thanks Alan.