In hoping vs In the hope

Hi

She looked around in the hope of recognising some landmarks.

However, they went along with the many changes in the hope that the increasing emphasis on training might help our young people to find jobs.

But architects were not alone in hoping that the years ahead would bring peace and reconstruction to Iran and Iraq.

I put these in hoping and like, hoping that they’ll grow. (:slight_smile: )

Could you explain the (subtle, I suppose) difference between using in the hope and in hoping?
‘Static-dynamic’ or something else? Or no difference?

[color=blue]Hi Tamara

I thought it might be useful to simply reword your sentences (for comparison):

She looked around in the hope of recognising some landmarks.
[color=blue]She looked around, hoping to recognise some landmarks.

However, they went along with the many changes in the hope that the increasing emphasis on training might help our young people to find jobs.
[color=blue]However, they went along with the many changes, hoping u[/u] the increasing emphasis on training might help our young people to find jobs.

But architects were not alone in hoping that the years ahead would bring peace and reconstruction to Iran and Iraq.
[color=blue]But architects were not the only ones who were hoping u[/u] the years ahead would bring peace and reconstruction to Iran and Iraq.

I put these in hoping and like, hoping that they’ll grow. (:slight_smile: ) [color=blue]Sorry, Tamara, I don’t follow this sentence. :cry:

[color=blue]I think you ought to look at in the hope that/of as idiomatic (fixed expression). It also exists as “in hopes of”.

After the words “alone in” you can easily replace “hoping” with any number of verbs. In other words, the word “in” is more directly connected to “alone” (not hoping).
We are not alone in thinking things have gone too far.” (bnc)

Amy

Hi Amy

Thanks a lot, I will work with your corrections (re-writing).

But my initial question was not how to avoid using of both expressions (= simple re-rewrite the sentences) ), I just asked about the difference.

All my examples, incuding ‘smiled’ sentence, were taken from BNC. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your respone, I’ve taken it.
If I won’t be able to understand smth, I’ll ask again and again. Sure :slight_smile:

Hi Tamara

My sentences were not intended as corrections! They were simply intended as comparisons.

And when I reworded, there was a big difference between the “in the hope of/that” sentences and the “in hoping” sentence – and that had a lot to do with the word “alone” (That was a word that you had more or less ignored, but that I think is important to include in your thinking here.)

Amy

Amy, it seems now I’ve got it, your alone-point!

Here is the good example of that meaning:

Sharing the hope.
Using ‘in the hope’ here would change the meaning significantly(!), wouldn’t it?!

Thank you for enlightening me :slight_smile:

But there are still some cases in which I can’t see the difference. :frowning: For example,

It wouldn’t change the meaning too much if we put ‘in the hope’ instead of ‘in hoping’… at least, in my view…

OK… The question was/is difficult (to me), as in Russian both expressions would be expressed by the same phrase and the difference in meaning would depend entirely on the context.
(Despite ‘hoping’ and ‘in hopes’ are used equivalently!)

Thanks, Amy!

P.S. Just to say that the question was raised (initially :)) by the phrase from a local newspaper:

A group of Letchworth GC mums who took part hope to raise ?1,000 for the aid agency CAFOD. Click here for “mums link”
that puzzled me a bit (I’d use hoping).
Then… you understand… the wheel(s) just started rotating :lol:

[size=84][color=red]EDIT:
Tamara, I’ve edited (reformatted) your link in order to restore a normal page width to the thread.
Amy[/size]

Hi Tamara

I think it would be most effective if you wrote a variety of “hope” sentences yourself and then posted them for comment. (But no short, baby sentences, please. Write some nice sturdy ones with lots of meat.) :smiley:

Here is you original “instigator” sentence with all of the excess information removed:

The most you can do to “hope” in that sentence is to use the present continuous: “are hoping”. :slight_smile:

Amy

OK, Amy, I’ll try. :slight_smile:

1. I’ve decided to take part in the discussion in the hope to be heard.

2. This year he was baffled (?) in his hopes to win the wooden bird competition (:))

3. They sold products not only below full cost, but even below prime cost, in the vain hope that they would make money in some other ways.

4. I expected him to support me in (my?) hoping to gain strength.

5. :slight_smile: We live in hoping. We go to bed with the hope to wake up tomorrow, we do ‘rise & shine’, hoping that the day will shape well, we give love to someone in the weak hope to get a bit of warm in response, we are hoping that the future will not much worse than the present, and ‘not too bad’. Etc, etc…
    You are happy if you have someone close in hoping that all goes for the better. And eventually comes. :slight_smile:

6. ([size=84]My translation of a Churchill’s phrase (that I know only in Russian translation and never heard/saw in original :slight_smile: ))[/size]
    A peace-maker is a person who feeds a crocodile in the hope that it will eat him/her the last.
    :slight_smile:

…Hmm. In hoping is much more difficult to me…

Maybe will continue on weekends, if inspiration comes to me :slight_smile:

Yes, Amy, you’re right. I’d ignored ‘who’…
The reason behind my mistake was that the whole article is written in Past Simple (as the event had taken place in the past).
So, I had unambiguously (!) read the sentence as a group of mums took part (the subject and the verb) and then expected hope to have been used in the Gerund form…

Sorry for my stupidity…

(Re-reading). My ‘We live in hoping’ is definitely wrong. Perhaps should be ‘live in hope’, with zero article.

This morning I am all alone in hoping that just some of other sentences are acceptable. :slight_smile:

Hi Tamara

Here are some comments and reworded sentences:

Amy

Hi, Amy

Generally, I’d say that it’s never been the most effective way to teach me something :slight_smile: (taking into account my obstinacy, in particular, and the Newton’s Third Law, in general :slight_smile: )

…Thanks, Amy. :slight_smile:
You’re right.
What I did and showed you was/is the most natural to me (and wrong!) way of using that hope-expressions – by trying to ‘translate’ their Russian equivalent, together with the context, - as fixed expressions, not as usual grammatical forms.
So, as you could see, I tend to use to-infinitive after ‘hope’ and ‘hoping’ (despite the above ‘native’ examples with ‘that’ and ‘of+gerund’ from my own first post.)
And yes again, I’m still sticking to that and have rather wrong feeing of in hoping as some ‘special case’…

OK.
Thank you. Now I have the more clear picture :slight_smile:

Hi Tamara

In the hope that it will help, here’s a short summary: :smiley:

You can say “hope to do something”. That’s the primary situation in which you’ll find “to” after the verb “hope”.

Other verb structures:

• hope for something
  • hope that something happens

Otherwise, if you use “hope” as a noun, then it will generally be followed by something other than the word “to”.

Amy

PS

FYI: I made a late edit in my last post – in connection with your first sentence.

Amy, can I say ‘He has failed in (with?) his hopes’? (defeated? deceived?)

(I remember your correction ‘were dashed’ for the Passive form, but what about Active one?
Or should it be ‘he has been …’ or ‘his hopes were…’ anyway?)

Hi Tamara

I think what someone can do to their own hopes (active) would be things such as:

• abandon (one’s) hopes
  • give up (one’s) hopes
  • fail to realize (one’s) hopes
  • pin (one’s) hopes on something
  • revive (one’s) hopes
  • keep (one’s) hopes alive

BUT:

• lose hope

Often outside forces ruin one’s hopes, and then you can use passive (as you’ve seen):
His hopes were ___ed (by someone/something)

Amy

Thank you, Amy. Clear.

Now I also know the new idiom, a bit sad: hope against hope

Short-spoken and precise…
It seems that there is no direct equivalent for it in my first language, except for the phrase ‘to put (pin?) hopes on a miracle only’ - or something like that.

Hi Tamara,

With all this ‘hopeology’ flying around I thought I might toss in a ‘hopelet’, which may be of interest, say I hopefully and that is: We can but hope.

What do you make of that?

Alan

Hi Alan

At first glance, I expected to see ‘We cannot but hope’ (= Nothing to do, no choice, but only to hope for the better).

But now (at second and third looks :)) I think that We can but hope is quite logical in English to express shortly the idea.
‘I can do nothing (at the moment) to change the situation, and can only wait, in the hope that something will happen to (for?) my happiness’.
(If I am right at all with its meaning…)

(Just a smile)

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Let’s still hope for the better.

Have a nice weekend! :slight_smile:
Tamara