I'm sitting vs I'm seated

Hi there!
For me this phrase is kind of tricky 'cause they look similar to me. I think there’s a difference I don’t know, though. So, could anyone explain me what the reason of this difference is?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Rant of the week #1: Please don’t change because to 'cause or cause.

It depends on what you’re talking about, proper forms, or British slang?

I’m sitting (I am sitting) is a durational form for the verb sit meaning that the activity of sitting is ongoing at that time.

I’m seated (I am seated) in proper usage is a predicate adjective construction with seated being an adjective describing ‘I’.

If you’re talking about the British slang usage, I’m seated is actually an incorrect usage of the praeterite (the second form of the verb) used in place of the present participle (-ing).

The meaning is actually that of ‘I am standing’ as described above. You also hear things like ‘She was stood by the bus stop’ (for ‘She was standing’) and ‘the car was sat in the driveway’ (for ‘the car was sitting in the driveway’).

This is very bad grammar and you should avoid using it at all cost.

(also be careful not to confuse it with the passive voice which can look similar but uses the past participle (3rd form) of the verb)

1 Like

To my knowledge (actually gut feeling):

I’m sitting. = I’m right now sitting. An ongoing process. I’m not standing, running or strolling.

I’m seated. = I have a seat somewhere (at my desk / beside the fireplace…), on which I’m sitting now.

Then there are the usual expressions when you want someone to sit down:

Please take/have a seat.
Please be seated.

You don’t say:
Sit down!

Unless, of course, you are angry with this or have some authority over this person.

1 Like