If I didn't know any better...meaning Confusion Help

What does the following sentence actually mean?

For example: Someone at a party wishes to avoid somene. You notice it and you say:

• If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you we’re trying to avoid somebody.
    I know that this sentence is used so as to joke a bit, but can ‘I I didn’t know any better…’ be used meaning something else? If so could you give me a few examples?
  • If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they were sisters. Here I suppose you don’t make a joke.
  • If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they were having an affair. This 'If I know any better confuses me from time to time. Please

I’m sorry for this repetition but I accidentally put my topic in the wrong category. Sorry.

Thanks

2 Likes

“If I didn’t know any better” here means ‘if I didn’t have any information telling me otherwise’.

Let’s say you meet two women who look familiar and look almost the same age. You might think they are sisters. However, if you know that both women are mother and daughter you can say ‘If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they were sisters.’.

Please let me know if this makes sense and maybe @Andrea or @Anglophile can explain it even better.l

2 Likes

If I didn’t know any better, in this context, means If my knowledge was not more than (different from) what I know now. The corollary is this: To the best of my knowledge, belief and presumption.

I don’t think I can answer it any better!

2 Likes

There is also the meaning when you describe someone’s action/behaviour as ignorant in the social sense. It has a snobbish ring about it, suggesting somebody does something socially unacceptable whereas you have the advantage of a better education and know the right way to behave.

2 Likes

You’re only partly right Alain, because I read in a grammar book the following:

A man to a woodcutter: ‘Hi, if I didn’t you any better, I’d say you we’re an expert at this.’

The book also mention you had better not say to a chef de cuisne in chique restaurant, because he most certainly would be insulted.

Thank you for you reply, Alan

2 Likes

Yes, but this what Alain means by snobbish. Ofcourse its clear that persion wishes to avoid someone, but it is used to be sarcastic. That’s where Alain is right, but it can also be use to make make a harmless joke at someone.

2 Likes