If ever there was a decision...

Hi

Please see below:

" If ever there was a decision which I made and was later glad about making it, it was about taking up teaching profession. This is where one comes across people who, though young in years, are brimming with such potential and optimism which is enough to make a grown up gape at them with wonder and envy. The company of these people puts one back into perspective–helping him retain a positive outlook on the life he would have otherwise long been deprived of."

Q1-(first line) Can the word(making) be removed from the sentence without affecting the meaning?

Q2- (second line) Taking up teaching profession or a teaching profession?

Q3-(third line) Though young in years: Is it correct to say like this?

Q4- (fourth line) potential and optimism which is or which are?

Q5: Are the last two lines grammatically correct? Or there is some amendment required?

Many, many thanks

Tom

Q1-(first line) Can the word(making) be removed from the sentence without affecting the meaning? – Yes, but something is lost: he is glad about the dynamic making of the decision.

Q2- (second line) Taking up teaching profession or a teaching profession? – The teaching profession, actually. A typo, I think.

Q3-(third line) Though young in years: Is it correct to say like this? – Yes; a bit poetic but OK.

Q4- (fourth line) potential and optimism which is or which are? Brimming…which is

Q5: Are the last two lines grammatically correct? Or there is some amendment required? – OK, I think. I might sooner argue with the semantics: I think one’s viewpoints are put into perspective, not the person himself.

Hi Tom

Do you understand MM’s point about “The company of these people puts one back into perspective…”?

I agree with MM — I feel uncomfortable with that line. Normally people put points of view into perspective — not themselves. Maybe it would be better to write “regain/reclaim perspective” in this sentence.

Amy