If a moderator gives a wrong answer!

Hi

I would like to know if a moderator gives a wrong answer ( wrong answer to the extent where it cannot be covered) and the other moderator sees that, what he/ she would do? :smiley: (Silly question, ha?) Would he/ she try to stay out [color=red]of the mess simply by not answering or would give his/ her opinions, obviously defying the previous answer? Does it ever happen to you? If you say yes, I will not ask when and with whom! :smiley:

Tom

P.S. Should it be mess or the mess?

Hi,
Itā€™d be the mess, but Iā€™d avoid this word in this matter.
Sorry for not staying out of this. :slight_smile:
Spencer

I think itā€™s happened before that moderators have given wrong answers. I think Iā€™ve given some answers that needed correction. If thatā€™s the case, and another moderator sees that the answer is wrong, we correct each other.

Much more often, a moderator will give an answer that is not exactly wrong, but open to disagreement or can be clarified from a different point of view. Iā€™m on one continent, and the other moderators are on another. I have a heavy background in linguistics, and most other moderators have been trained in English the traditional way, and that sometimes leads to varying perspectives on language matters. If you pay close attention, youā€™ll notice that Alan, Amy, Mister Micawber and I correct each otherā€™s answers, or add another perspective to each otherā€™s answers, with relative frequency. Once in a while we even have to apologize for our own answers.

Some of the funny disagreements happen between Amy and me, because she is from the East and Iā€™m from the Midwest, and sometimes we canā€™t even agree on what to call some sandwich or soft drink.

Hi Tom,

I think Jamie has given you a very good answer. You see, you really would have to define what you mean by ā€œwrong answer.ā€ All our moderators know exactly what they are talking about and if there is a controversial question, they simply say what they think. Itā€™s like in ā€œreal lifeā€.

I would be interested in learning what triggered your question. Do you have the feeling that somebody gave you a ā€œwrong answerā€ or is just that you want to take precautions?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Bicycle race[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Tom

One thing you should keep in mind is that even the ā€œbiggestā€ experts in English donā€™t agree on every single thing. There are also a number of varieties of English and even within one single country there are local and regional differences (as Jamie pointed out).

Iā€™m also curious about what prompted your question. I think sometimes there may be several responses to a question that are simply different ways of explaining the same thing or the second response might add something that the first didnā€™t mention, etc., etc. If you think that two (or more) answers are giving you fundamentally different information, then just ask about it. :wink:

Amy