[IELTS WRITING TASK 2] Please help me check this essay and give me comments. Thanks for your help

Hi, my name Phuong, I am learning writing by my self and I hope that you can help me check my essay. Thanks so much.

TOPIC: Scientists predict in the near future cars will be driven by computers not people. Do you think it is a positive or negative development ?

The idea that it is soon when computers can completely replace human in operating vehicles remains a source of controversy. Despite some drawbacks, I totally agree that it is useful to let cars be driven by computers.

On the one hand, there are two main reasons why people should reduce computerizing in transportation. Firstly, the more modern the technology is, the more dependant it encourages human to become. Without knowledge of monitoring, people are likely to lose their control when the computer breaks down, which may result in severe accidents. Secondly, applying computers in transporting field may have a negative impact on people who are working as drivers. For example, no matter how well people drive, their experience can not compare with the huge data of information updated hourly by the cutting-edge technology. As a result, a large number of drivers may become unemployed with the appearance of computers, which makes them encounter difficulties in making ends meet.

On the other hand, I would argue that it is pressing to take the advantage of computer in every aspect of life, transportation in particular. On reason is that the advances of technology in computers enables people to travel more quickly and conveniently. In fact, thanks to data from satellites, computers are able to calculate the shortest route as well as avoid driving to traffic jams, therefore, not only this advantage brings enjoyable journey but also lessen the burden of traffic jams on roads. Another reason is the reduction of a significant number of accidents caused by drivers’ faults. For instance, there are a lot of people driving cars after drinking too much beer and causing accidents because of their lack of concentration, which has never happened with computers.

In conclusion, although automatically driving can bring a few negative effects, I strongly believe that computer-driving should be taken into consideration due to its undeniable pros.

5 Likes

I pretty much agree with your conclusion and would even say that Autonomous driving has arrived already. As for your essay, it’s great and maybe @Andrea can share her opinion too?

4 Likes

Yes, I would agree that it has already arrived. I watched a program called “Top Gear” before where they showed the car actually parking without the driver doing anything! It’s really amazing though. Personally, I don’t know if I would put my trust in a vehicle driving me around. :thinking:

4 Likes

Here’s an interesting article:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/driverless-car-has-been-tested-uk%3Famp

4 Likes

Phuong, thank you for sharing your ideas and writing so well. Well done! :hibiscus:

4 Likes

(It is a good essay that enjoys cogent thinking of the author!)

3 Likes

Andrea, I would never get into a car like that. It really scares the hell out of me.

2 Likes

My mother used to say: “You’re Mr. Perpetual Talk”, but I always want to make conversation, you see. Damn this post should go with “Put a sock in it.” Sorry.

2 Likes

@Masme Hi Marc, it’s always great to hear what you think. :wink: You don’t have to put a sock in it! No need to apologise. :hugs: Hope you’re well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Andrea,

Yes, I’m fine, how are you?

2 Likes

@Masme Glad all is well. I’m fine thanks. Just been very busy.

2 Likes