IELTS Writing Task 2 - Music

Hi everyone, please leave your thoughts and comments about my essay. Thanks a bunch!

Topic: Some people say that music is a good way of bringing people of different cultures and ages together. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Essay:
Music is widely considered as an effective mean of closing the gap between different cultures and generations. I totally agree with this opinion and my reasons will be stated below.

The main reason why I think music can connect people coming from different cultural backgrounds is that everyone can fall in love with a song regardless of their origins. Although the lyrics can be written in various languages, one does not need to be fluent in a foreign language to benefit from the soothing effect of music. This is because melodies and rhythm constitute a form of a universal way of communicating, people can therefore find comfort in the same musical track in spite of the language barrier. For instance, a Chinese and a Spanish speaker can easily become friends at a Beatles’ concert thanks to their common admiration for the music of the British band.

In addition, people of all ages can be brought closer by their shared taste of music as there is no place for ageism in music. Admirers of a talented Vietnamese composer, Trinh Cong Son, would make a great case of this point. From students to people in their twilight years, they all enjoy the touching melody of Trinh’s works, resulting in the creation of many clubs of these like-minded people. In this way, people of various age groups have become closer, fostering a better understanding and communication across generations.

In conclusion, I completely agree that music can help us overcome the gap between people of different cultures and ages.

3 Likes

Keep writing. All the best.

3 Likes

I always find it difficult to paraphrase given words as well as my own expressions, especially under exam conditions. Your suggestions are therefore priceless for me to get a better control of the language.
Thank you very much!

3 Likes