IELTS writing task 2 essay- Discussion. The use of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, is replacing face-to-face contact in this century. Do you think the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Dear teacher,

Please help me check this IELTS writing task 2 essay- Discussion.
The use of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, is

replacing face-to-face contact in this century. Do you think the advantages of

this outweigh the disadvantages?

ocial media such as Facebook , Twitter is replacing face-to-face contact in people’s everyday lives. Do you think the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages

The explosion of social networking sites is seen as an important factor leading to the replacement of real interaction. Many people argue that this has a negative impact, but I think that the merits of technological advancement trump the disadvantages.

On the one side, having social media contact could create some problems. Specifically, people’s ability in face-to-face communication can deteriorate if having the overuse of online conversations. Secondly, this form of communication increases chances of people becoming a victim to cyberspace fraudulent acts. Casual acquaintances via social media whose real identity is little known to you may be hackers trying to steal your secret information for online criminal acts.

On the other side, personally, I totally believe that the development of social media could be definitely useful for young students. Some social networking sites such as Facebook, Youtube … allow the young to manipulate the vast amounts of knowledge they encounter via the internet and in libraries. Without having them, in fact, preparing for exams and studying would both be impractical, because we would be unable to look at, process and examine the huge amounts of information. Another reason could be considered that social networks make it easy for people to keep in touch with the latest activities of their family and friends, including those who live far away. For example, when I was studying IELTS at IELTS Master language school which is far away from my hometown. Thanks to using Facebook, I was able to show my parents all the photos that I took at the places I went to. I feel that social networking sites are seen at a powerful tool to strengthen family relationships.

As shown above, it is true that Social media such as Facebook, Twitter is changing the way people communicate. I still think that the benefit of this development outweigh the drawbacks.

By Justin- my friend

3 Likes

(Note: I have made this attempt since Luschen, who is good at examining essays, is away temporarily)

4 Likes

Thank you very much, teacher.

2 Likes