Ielts Writing Task 2: Education

Topic: It is observed that in many countries, not enough students are choosing to study science subjects. What are the causes? And what will be the effects on society.

It is unfortunately true that fewer students have preferred to study science subjects during their school years, and this seems to be an increasing trend in many nations. There are a number of reasons behind this phenomenon and the impacts on society will be especially grave.

Two primary resons influence the decision of some students not to opt for science modules in schools and universities. Firstly, science subjects are usually perceived as demanding in terms of both workload and intellectual content. Thus, the reluctance of some students to embark on subjects such as biology, chemical, physics which they fear to be challenging, is understandable. Secondly, it is undeniable that some youngsters feel bored when they have to study science. Comparing with physical subjects in which pupils are capable of freely working out as well as interacting with other counterparts, seating at one place and trying to do maths or memorizing mathematical concepts seem to be less appealing to many active students.

The effects of this trend on society are extremely detrimental. One significant problem may be that not enough qualified science students come through the educational system to supply the trained workforce that certain branches of industry need for their research and development. This, in turn, will affect national economic expansion, which is essential for raising living standards. Another negative impact is the lack of scientists in high-tech industry. Space exploration, for example, is a technological field that needs high-skilled employees who specialize in both maths and physics, not to mention other subjects like chemistry. Hence, if schoolchildren deter from taking up science, there will be not enough space experts to do research, which in turn leads to the fact that people will never be able to fulfill their dreams of exploring the beauty of the universe or forecast natural disasters , such as earthquake or typhoon.

In conclusion, there are dangers in the increasing shift away from studying science subjects and the causes of this problem should be tackled urgently

3 Likes

Hello Tran Thu and welcome to our forum. How are things with you in Vietnam theses days? As for your essay, I think nowadays and person can learn anything at any point in time so the entire topic is moot.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,
Torsten

2 Likes

Hi Torsten,

Many thanks to your warm greeting! Due to the quick spread of Coronavirus, Vietnamese authority encourages the residents to stay at home, so our daily lives change a little bit, but still fine.

As for your comment, I agree with you that people can learn anything nowadays, and one of the most primary reasons is due to the advances in technology. But, as you can see, in some countries, including my country, school leavers majoring in science are not enough, leading to the lack of trained workforce in some branches of industry which need high-skilled workers for their research and development. About my essay, therefore, it may have my subjective ideas, and not mention to other possibilities. So, many thanks for your comment on my post​:rose::rose::rose:

Regards,
Uyen

2 Likes