IELTS Writing Task 2 - Education - Vocational Training

Hi everyone. I’m aming for 7.0 IELTS writing. I would truly appreciate if you have comments and feedback on my essay. Thank you in advance.

Many people go to university for academic study. More people should be encouraged to do vocational training because there is a lack of qualified workers such as electricians and plumbers. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

It is undeniable that pursuing a higher academic degree is the preferred option for a significant percentage of high school graduates. Despite its crucial role in the labour market, vocational jobs, on the other hand, are far less attractive. From my perspective, I strongly side with the view that more graduates should embark on vocational training courses.

There are manifold reasons why blue-collar workers are always in demand. Firstly, skilled workers are indispensable for essential human needs, including food, shelter, electricity and water supply. Builders and constructors, for example, contribute to the erection, maintenance and renovation of the infrastructure. Moreover, skilled labour is vital for the improvement of living standards. Meanwhile researchers and engineers come up with inventions and tools to improve the quality of people’s lives, factory labourers ensure accurately finished products reaching consumers. As an instant, without assembly workers, it would not be easy for people to own durable and sophisticated smartphones at affordable prices.

From the aforementioned reasons, students should be encouraged to choose vocational courses and apprenticeships. The onus is on schools to incorporate practical and vocational subjects into the curriculum. Subjects such as vocational cookery, automotive mechanic, and sewing not only helps students have the basic skills to serve their daily lives, but also gives them the opportunity to have an overview of the manual careers, allowing them to have more choices after being graduated from high school. Additionally, parents should not put pressure on their children to obtain higher academic degrees. Instead, they should explain the future prospects of manual professions to their children, especially those not suited or interested in intellectual fields.

In conclusion, to ensure the balanced development of the society, I firmly believe that priority should be given to vocational training, making it the core of workforce development.

Word count: 297.

1 Like

I think your writing skills are quite solid and the folks at IELTS will be very pleased with you.

1 Like