IELTS writing task 1 - Can you evaulate my writing?

Hi everyone! Can you evaulate my writing and give me a score according to IELTS rating system?

The pie chart gives information about the main causes of land degradation. The table illustrates how North America, Europe and Oceania were affected by these causes during the years 1990s.

Overall, over-grazing was the most important cause of land degradation, whereas other causes made up the smallest part of the chart.

With regards to the pie chart, over-grazing accounted for %35 of the land degradation, while deforestation was at less than a third. Also, over-cultivation and other causes made up %28 and %7 respectively.

When it comes to the table, we can clearly see that Europe has the largest degraded land by %23 among these three regions, while North America has the lowest degraded land by %5. Moreover, Europe was the most affected region by deforestation by almost one in ten, while the least affected region was North America. Additionally, over-cultivation affected North America and Europe %3.3 and %7.7 respectively, while Oceania had not been affected by over-cultivation. In terms of over-grazing, it affected Oceania’s land mostly by %11.3. In comparison, North America and Europe were affected by this cause by %1.5 and %5.5 respectively.

2 Likes

I think you probably would be able to achieve a writing component score of 6.

2 Likes

Thank you. Well, how I get 7 or above? What should I do? And I wonder that which word I can use instead of the word “affect”?

2 Likes

It’s quite possible that you will score 7 or above, I’m no expert in the IELTS rating system because it’s rather useless anyway. As for another verb for ‘affect’, how about ‘impact’?

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It’s great!

1 Like

I’d shift the percentage symbol to the right of the figure. (Do you mean percentage 35 or 35 percent?)

These changes may be considered:

1. … smallest part (sector) of the chart.
  2. I doubt whether it is with regard or with regards. I always prefer and use the former.
  3. … North America and Europe by %3.3 and %7.7 respectively, …
  4. The word ‘affected’ appears six times in the last paragraph. This may be obviated by using words like suffered, impacted, hit etc.

As Torsten says, I’m not an expert in rating IELTS essays either. But I tend to give score 6.5 for grammar, syntax and cogency.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your detailed response.

2 Likes