IELTS Task2: Maintaining public libraries is a waste of money since the internet has widely replaces their function. To what extent do you agree or disagree

Hi~Sophia again, I noticed a problem that I have. The test requires 250 words for this task, but I usually only can write 200 to 220 words. Is there any suggestions for me? Thank you.

Over the past few decades, the development of the internet has had a huge impact on human lives. Some people think that it is wasting money to maintain public libraries. I strongly agree with this ideas for two reasons.

First of all, people can fetch information more quickly than the time before invention of the internet. For example, if somebody want to know how to keep health diet. They only need few clicks to get huge amounts of information by using keywords. Compared to the internet, libraries need place and people to preserve books and magazines, which is wasting space and resources. Furthermore, people spend more time to get information from books. This is the first reason why we should not invest too much money for keeping libraries function well.

In addition to this, from the aspect of environment. One of the reasons in global warming is earth losing too many trees, which are using for making books. Besides, the industry of producing paper is one of the sources of pollution. All you need just a computer to search and learn information online, it is not necessary that producing so many paper publications.

In conclusion, for the reasons stated above I believe that it may not worth for people spending too much to maintain public libraries. It is more convenient and quick to get information using the internet.

1 Like

Hi Sophia, I definitely agree that being able to write a longer essay that is still relatively error-free will result in a higher score. I think that practicing, like you are doing now, is a good way of increasing your writing speed. Another idea is to include detailed and personal examples in your essay. It seems like writing examples, especially ones that you have experienced, are easier for English learners.
For instance, in this essay, you could write about some of the interesting or educational experiences you have had in libraries. For instance, when my three boys were young, I would take them to the library every Wednesday.
The library employees would have a “story time” every Wednesday where they would read books and sing songs for the little kids. It was one of the highlights of our week. After the story time, my kids would prowl through the library shelves looking for books and in the end we would head home with a big stack of books that we would devour in the ensuing week. See, that only took me a couple minutes to write 100 words! You do have some good ideas here, just expanding your examples with more detailed descriptions would go a long way. Here are some other suggestions: