IELTS TASK2: Discuss both views

Hi~teacher, this is new both views question. I try to focus on the question and not lose my track. Could you please grade my essay, I want to know where my level is. Thank you.

Q: Some people think "vertical "city is the best, where people live and work in tall buildings. Others think "horizontal" city is better, where there are few tall buildings. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Recently, there are variety of different perspectives in the issue of whether people should live in a place with many tall buildings or not. Some people believe that living and working in tall buildings is more suitable for modern life. Other people suggest that choosing a place with fewer buildings is safer and healthier. I support the second idea that people shouldn’t live in a city with many tall buildings.

First of all, it is a well-known fact that the living and working space of vertical cities is relatively smaller than horizontal cities. Besides, tall buildings are more dangerous when an earthquake or a fire occur. In one instance, there was an earthquake few years ago in Tainan which is one of the crowded cities in Taiwan. Many tall buildings were damaged at that time and this situation caused a lot of casualties. Although I agree that it is more convenient to have a good housing-management in tall buildings, the living style is still not attracted to me.

On the other hand, the horizontal cities are less crowded and healthier for everyone. For a city with many tall buildings, there is always too crowded and too much people will cause problems such as traffic congestion and air pollution. Furthermore, from environmental perspective, a city with many skyscrapers usually need more air conditioning which causing the greenhouse effect. So I feel that it is better for children to grow up and adults to work in a horizontal city.

In conclusion, I once again restate my view that living in a horizontal city is safer and more suitable life style.

1 Like

Hi Sophia, I am so sorry, but you did not use the correct essay format for this type of prompt.
The prompts asks you to “discuss both views”. You have not discussed the view that vertical cities are better at all. Instead you just discussed the drawbacks of vertical cities. Really this essay would not be ideal for any prompt. For this prompt, one paragraph should have discussed the advantages of vertical cities and the second paragraph the advantages of horizontal cities. Then a third paragraph which could be combined with your conclusion, would give your opinion. Even if the prompt had been an agree/disagree type prompt, it would have been better to put the disadvantages of vertical cities in the first paragraph, and then put the advantages of horizontal cities in the second paragraph. This would allow a broader range of ideas. I cannot stress enough how important this is. Your writing is good enough to score a band 6.5, but if they feel you did not address the prompt correctly, they would only give you a band 4.

1 Like

What a huge and obvious mistake I made. I am so sorry about that I didn’t really follow your advice, I will do it again later. Thank you very much.

1 Like

I rewrite it a little bit. Can you please help me again, thank you.

Recently, there are variety of different perspectives concerning the issue of whether people should live in a place with many tall buildings or not. Some people believe that living and working in high-rise buildings is more suitable for modern life. Other people suggest that choosing a place with fewer skyscrapers is more comfortable and healthier. I support the second idea that people shouldn’t live in a dense built-up area”.

Some people favor living or working in tall building. First of all, high-rise buildings are more economical as buying small land and constructing a tall building is more affordable than purchasing a widespread land. And some businessperson like to work in high floor office to demonstrate their power. Furthermore, high-rise buildings usually have security and elevators. This kind of buildings is not only safe but convenient for both children and elderly people.

On the other hand, the horizontal cities with wide, low buildings of only a few stories are less crowded and healthier for everyone. There are more space for trees and parks, room to breathe, a view of the sky, and so on. I prefer living in a place with more space and parks, so I feel that it is better for children to grow up and less stressful for adults to work in a horizontal city.

In conclusion, I once again restate my view that living in a horizontal city is a more comfortable and suitable life style.

2 Likes

Hi Sophia, I think this is much better. You do need to have a little more development in your body paragraphs though. I think it would be better for you to have only two reasons per paragraph, each of which is developed somewhat with an example or explanation, than to have three reasons that are not really developed at all.
Also, it is better to have one paragraph supporting each side of the argument, and then to put your opinion in the conclusion.
I have made these changes below to let you see what I am talking about.

2 Likes