Ielts task. Owning famous brands

Hi, I come back with the new IELTS topic. Could you please check it for me? And coule you also check whether it goes off topic or not? Thank you, Luschen.

IELTS Topic: More and more people want to own famous brands of cars, clothes and other items. What are the reasons for this? Is this positive or negative trend?

There is no room for doubt that the number of luxury items sold has a significant increase in recent years. As far as I am concerned, the causes of this trend include products’ superior qualities and the human’s innate desire of showing their high social status. This essay will look at these two factors and further argue for this negative bias.

In my opinion, there are two main reasons that should be taken into consideration. Firstly, the products of top labels meet customer satisfaction and even perform above expectation. Take the Gucci handbag in authorized stores and the fake one in the market as an example. Gucci products are made of good material and tested under extreme circumstances; hence customers can use it longer. Besides, only leading companies provide excellent customer services such as lifetime warranty, online shopping and free shipping. Secondly, it appears that rich people tend to show their high social status by possessing luxury items which cost much more expensive than mid-range products. Wearing Rolex watches, driving Mercedes and using Vertu phones make them become more confident and give them deluxe appearances.

Using luxury items has some drawbacks in our society. It is apparent that this trend increases the gap between the haves and the have-nots. Rich people are likely to be over- confident about themselves and behave terribly with the poor who have to work hard to earn a living. In addition, some people have irresistible desire for owning expensive products. As a result, they borrow money from others to afford luxury items even when they cannot pay back and it becomes their financial burden.

In conclusion, I think the quintessential elements of products as well as people’s perception result in the higher sale of well-known brands. This trend may lead to numerous negative social effects.

TOEFL listening discussions: What started this conversation?

Please help me check it. Thank you Luschen.

Hi, I think your writing was pretty good in this one. Your ideas and clear and I liked your numerous details. I don’t think you adequately addressed whether you think this is a positive or negative trend though. It is really only mentioned very briefly in the thesis and then again in the final sentence. You also have some usage errors, but they do not interfere with my comprehension. I think your writing quality might rate a 7, but I will have to give it a 6.5 for the reason noted above.