IELTS TASK 2: In some parts of the world it is becoming popular to research the history of one’s own family. Why might people want to do this? Is it a positive or negative development?

Hi, please help me evaluate my essay.
Can this essay get band 7?
I don’t know what synonyms would suitable to replace the word “negative”. Please help me suggest some.

In some parts of the world it is becoming popular to research the history of one’s own family. Why might people want to do this? Is it a positive or negative development?

In recent years, a growing number of people are increasingly interested in conducting research about their family origin. This tendency can be attributed by a whole host of reasons and i believe it is a negative development.

To begin with, there are two major reasons why genealogy is prevalent. The first reason is that people are curious about their ancestors, they wish to get a good grasp of their family history and find out where their ancestors came from and how they earned a living. For example, if a person discover that their great-grandfather is a illustrious figure or a noble , they could be super excited and proud. Additionally, people attempt to investigate their own family history to check out their health. By doing so, they can be aware of whether their ancestors suffer from any hereditary ailments and figure out what can be done to cure or prevent the illness.

However, i would argue that this tendency is negative because of several reasons. Firstly, this could exert an adverse impact on their attitudes on life. For example, if a person find out they are related to aristocracy, they may become arrogant and conceited towards those who they think that come from low class families. Furthermore, carrying out research to discover the history of family is a waste of money and time-consuming. For instance, they might have to spend a huge amount of time meticulously rummaging their house to find any objects or pictures associated with their ancestors or paying researchers hundreds of dollars just to discover who their ancestors are.

In conclusion, there are myriad reasons why genealogy is becoming increasingly prevalent, and i believe this is a negative tendency.

2 Likes

You mean you are looking for a synonym to ‘negative development’? How about ‘adverse tendency’?

2 Likes

oh yes. Thank you ^-^

1 Like