IELTS Task 2 - Effects of news media on our lives?

The popularity of news media has significant influence on people’s lives. Some people believes that this is a negative development. To what extent do you agree/disagree with this?

While nobody can deny the importance of news media, some people believe the rapid development of news channels is disadvantageous. Personally, I completely agree with the idea.

The obvious argument against the ubiquitous spread of news channels these day is the lack of objectivity. Most broadcasting stations and major newspapers in Vietnam are funded by the goverment or are goverment-owned corporations. As a result, the news published in those channels are subjected to the approvement and censorship from a number of state officers; a process which can deter it from delivering a subjective view of any story. Furthermore, it is not an exaggeration to say that, today we are surrounded by news. From traditional newspaper to news website and social media, we are offered an array of choice to keep us up-to-date. Unfortunately, if there is a false story, it can quickly be disseminated through those channels, creating a dillusion of the world in our mind.

Another reason to demonstrate the detrimental effect that the media poses on people is the frequent exaggeration on some paticular incidents. For example, to increase the number of view, after the MH370, MH317 plane crash, a significant number of news on similar accidents were reported. It created a distort view about the safety of plane travel and instilled fear in the audience’s mind while the truth is plane is still the safest means of transportation.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that the fast development of news channels imposes some negative effects on people’s lives.

2 Likes

Hi, your writing in this essay was quite good, but to me, the essay as a whole does not really answer the prompt directly enough. The prompt is asking about the influence media has on our lives - I would expect to read information about how media affects the people who consume it. Your first body paragraph talks about how the news is not objective, but you don’t say much about the effect that has or how that influences people until finally, you mention that false news can create an illusion of the world in our minds. Unfortunately, that is just one short phrase at the end of the paragraph, when it really should have been in the topic sentence and throughout the paragraph. Your second body paragraph was better, stating that news can give us a false sense of fear, but once again, it would have been better to have stated that in the topic sentence, plus it seems very similar to the point made in your first body paragraph. Here are some other comments and suggestions:

1 Like

Thank you to your contribution. I am not happy witht this essay too. I will rewrite it soon.

1 Like