IELTS essay: More and more people want to buy famous brands with clothes and cars

More and more people want to buy famous brands with clothes, cars and other items. What are the reasons? Do you think it is a positive or negative development?

20 years ago, people focus on buying cheap but good commidities. By contrast, nowadays, an increasing number of people prefer to purchase famous brands products which include not only daily necessities but also luxury goods. As we all know, famous brands are a symbol of wealth and status. As far as I am concerned, there are several following factors contributing to this phenomenon.

While it is undeniable that the economic globalization as well as standard of living is improving, this has deeply influenced consumers’ shopping concepts. People want to show off their richness by purchasing a large number of famous brands products so that satisfying their vanity and the pursuit of the material. In addition, advertisement effect is another important factor making more people buy famous brands things. Many famous brands companies put a large sum of money into advertisements with famous and popular actors or singers in order to attract more customers, what is more, many fans would like to buy goods that their favourite singer advertises. Furthermore, the quality of famous brands products is basically superior, which cannot be neglected for customers.

In fact, it cannot be denied that overbuying famous brands products, such as clothes, towels and tooth paste may have some drawbacks. These daily necessities are easy to worn or use up and the quality of cheap necessities are similar to that expensive goods. Even buying famous brands products all the time may cause children’s bad style of life. Moreover, real and excellent famous brands are limited, while with more and more people choose to buy famous brands goods, sellers make use of high technology producing some fake famous brands products to consumers. This trend is hazardous for customers and societies.

To sum up, I do strongly believe that famous brands products selling well demonstrates the progress of society. However, every consumer should according to their practical situations to choose goods, following the trend blindly is inadvisable.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention Mona Lisa?

1 Like

Hi Candy, I thought you did a very good job with this essay. You have addressed the prompt well and provided some good reasons. Your writing is clear for the most part, but you do have a few odd phrases and suboptimal word choices. Overall, I would rate this a band 7.

1 Like

Hi, Luschen! Can you tell me how to write an appropriate and excellent transitional sentence on the beginning of the third graph, can you give an example, thanks!

1 Like

I think it is pretty good, apart from “In fact” - also “overbuying” sounds a little odd to me. Also, “famous name” is a good synonym for “famous brand” and “toothpaste” is one word. Maybe:

Nevertheless, it cannot be denied that excessive purchases of famous name products, such as clothes, towels and toothpaste may have some drawbacks.

1 Like