'I was said' vs. 'I was told'

OK, I saw the following sentence written by a German English teacher who works in a state school:

“… I was said that Ireland is a great country.”

The use of said as a passive construction in this context struck me as odd as it seems that teacher confused said with told. So in my opinion that sentence should read:

“… I was told that Ireland is a great country.”

Any thoughts on this?
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of American History[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

I was said that Ireland is a great country.” seems to be either just plain wrong OR in the wrong tense and missing a “t”:

It is said that Ireland is a great country.” (i.e., lots of people often say this)

It may be theortetically possible to concoct a sentence where “I was said” could be used, but it would be fairly unusual:

Apparently I was said to be the best sales person in Europe. I guess that’s why the company hired me.

Regarding the second sentence:
I was told that Ireland is a great country” = Reported speech referring to a specific past conversation and the opinion (“is a great country”) is expressed as a fact. You can also replace the “is” with “was” — which is probably what most grammar books would “expect”, but not necessarily what most native speakers would say.

Amy