I say "I haven't a clue" when I

I say "I haven't a clue" when I ...... (*) am curious (*) understand nothing (*) am apologetic

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/10707,i-say-i-havent-a-clue-when-i-___/
2 Likes

I say “I haven’t a clue” when I understand nothing.

answer: understand nothing

2 Likes

That’s right. Do you know the expression “I haven’t the foggiest”?

2 Likes

Isn’t it the same thing? Except I would add “idea” foggiest idea in it. I think they got this word from “foggy” as in you know how sometimes you are driving at night and suddenly you run into this cloud of smoke that you find it hard to drive in? Your vision becomes hazy and you can’t see clearly so you park the car because you’re unable to drive. You’re discombobulated.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right. :+1: I think the following versions are used:

I haven’t the foggiest idea.
I haven’t the foggiest notion.
I haven’t the foggiest.

Out of interest, do you remember how and when you learned the word ‘discombobulated’?

1 Like

The best ways to learn new words is first of all to have an open ear and a pen ready with you at all times because you never know where you’ll hear your next word. With that being said, I pick up my words from watching cartoons and listening to Mariah Carey. The thing about cartoons is that adults think that it’s too childish to be watching cartoons but I tell you what cartoons are already built to teach us stuff. For example the word “discombobulated”. See Mike Tyson Mysteries as he uses this word.
“Nemesis” see Bob’s Burgers.
“Asinine” see King of the Hill. Etc.
And as for Mariah Carey, that lady is jam packed with new vocabulary words you can learn for the rest of your life! She is different from others because she can sing so therefore isn’t afraid to use difficult words.
These are the ways I learn English. My problem is speaking it. Now where do I go to practice that? Thank you!

2 Likes

Yet another similar expression -

It’s all Greek to me.

2 Likes