I really am, It really is, It is really?!

Hi friends, I’m new in this forum…
There’s an expression I confused about
It’ about the using of really.
I’ve ever heard from a movie, the actor said I really am sorry… I just really don’t want to lose him
and I also heard from different movie…the actress said you can really sing…
so what’s the difference?
and Which from that both version of really is right in grammar?

thanks

They are all correct. What do you mean by ‘which version’?

“Really” is my favorite word, so may I share some ideas. Remember: if a language professional says that I am wrong, then you must accept the language professional’s word, not mine.

As the language coach says, your question is not clear. So I shall discuss the adverb “really.” Please remember something very important: the meaning of the sentence depends on WHERE you put the adverb “really.”

(1) Let’s discuss your first sentence.

Mona: You hurt my feelings yesterday.
Tony: I am sorry.
Mona: Are you?
Tony: Yes, I really AM sorry. (Some teachers say that “really” makes the word “am” stronger; some teachers say that “really” makes the words “am sorry” stronger. The sentence means something like: “I very much am sorry.” That is stronger than “I am sorry.”)

Now look at what happens if I move “really”: I am really sorry. Now “really” refers to “sorry,” and the sentence means something like: I am VERY sorry.

Now look: Really, I am sorry./ I am sorry, really. Those two sentences = Believe me. I am telling the truth: I am sorry.

(2) Let’s discuss your second sentence.

Mona: My boyfriend says that he has a new girlfriend.
Martha: Who cares? You will get a new boyfriend in one day!
Mona: Well, I don’t want to lose him.
Martha: You don’t?
Mona: No, I really don’t want to lose him. (Some teachers say that “really” makes the word “don’t” stronger; some teachers say that “really” makes the words “don’t want to lose him” stronger. The meaning is: I very much do not want to lose him.)

Now move “really” to other positions: Really, I don’t want to lose him./ I don’t want to lose him, really. Those two sentences = Believe me. I’m telling the truth: I do not want to lose him.

And look at this: I don’t really want to lose him. = something like “Well, if he leaves me, I will not be happy, but that’s his decision. I will just wish him good luck, and then I’ll find another guy, I guess. What else can I do?”

(3) Your last sentence is “easy.”

In “You can really sing,” I think that “really” refers to “sing.” If you say “You can sing,” that is nice, but if you add the “really,” you are
strongly complimenting the singer on his/her singing ability: s/he can sing to a very high level of excellence.

If you move “really,” as in “You really can sing,” some teachers would say that you are making the word “can” stronger; some teachers would say that you are making the whole idea “can sing” stronger. The sentence means something like: Wow! You very much have a talent for singing.

Finally, look at: Really, you can sing./ You can sing, really.

Mona: Mr. Smith told me not to sing in this room.
Joe: Don’t pay attention to him.
Mona: But he told me not to sing.
Joe: Really (believe me), you can sing. = I am telling you the truth: you have PERMISSION to sing.

OR

Mona: I had a very bad accident that damaged my throat. I can’t sing anymore. I am so sad.
Joe: That’s not true. You can sing. (= you have the ABILITY to sing)
Mona: I do not believe you.
Joe: Really, you can sing. = Believe me. I am telling you the truth: the doctors tell me that you still have the ability to use your voice for singing. Just start singing. You will discover that I am telling you the truth.

I think that “really” basically means three things:

(1) “Very” = You are really intelligent.

(2) “Very much” = I really appreciate your help.

(3) “Believe me” = Really, I did not do it!

waw… thanks a lot
what I mean with “which version” whether really is put after verb or before verb…
but since James M explained it so clearly.
I understand now.
:slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind note. I am NOT claiming that all of my answers were correct. If you ever have more questions about my favorite word, please post them here. The language professionals will answer you. (And I promise NOT to answer. I want you to have only the answers from language professionals. I would feel bad if I gave you wrong answers. By the way, you are interested in the position of “really.” As you know, there are many good online dictionaries. Many of them will give you examples of how “really” is used. Best of luck.)