I need help in finding faults in an English test

I have a test here that I would appreciate it if anyone could take a look at. If you could point out some faults with it (as many as possible please) it would be greatly appreciated.
I need to find issues, including but not limited to:
-Grammatical errors: These can include mistakes with verb tense, subject-verb agreement, word forms, etc.
-Vocabulary errors: The test might use an incorrect word or phrase, or misuse a word.
-Punctuation errors:
-Spelling errors:

1 Like

Hi, can you please give us some more context about this task? Where did these tests come from and why do you want us to find any errors in it? Many thanks.

1 Like

This was a test for a final term at my school in Vietnam. The test was so bad that most of the students got below-average grading, some even outright failing their honor student status (which makes them “failures” according to our teachers). So I’m here in the hope of finding a way to turn it over

1 Like

So you want us to correct the test so you can go to the principal and ask them to give you better grades?

1 Like

Yes, that is my intention

1 Like

Maybe it’s better if you simply take another test and get a certificate such as this one:

1 Like

Can you help me find faults in the test, please?

Perhaps it makes more sense to spend our time and energy exchanging ideas while improving our language skills? By the way, do you know the difference between a test and an exam?

1 Like

In academics, the test is an examination, given often during the academic term. And an exam is short for examination.
What if I find all the faults in the test, then will you check if I’m missing anything or if I got anything wrong?

1 Like

Yes, we can do that. If it helps, I can also write a letter to the school administration and ask them to review your results.

I AM DONE. It took 5 hours with little to no breaks and IT’S 2 A.M but I FEEL GREAT.
Here are the answers (The faults I found are below the answers):
1.A
2.B
3.NO CORRECT ANSWERS
4. D
5. C
6. B
7. B
8. A
9. A
10. C
11. NO CORRECT ANSWERS
12. D
13. C
14. C
15. B
16. B
17. B
18. A
19. B
20. C
21. D
22. B
23. A
24. C
25. NO CORRECT ANSWERS
26. C
27. C
28. NO CORRECT ANSWERS
29. D
30. D
31. A
32. B
33. C
34. D
35. C
36. Surprisingly
37. Explanation
38. Economic
39. Environmentalists
40. Participatory
41. Competition, competitions, competitiveness, competitor, and competitors are all correct.
42. Representations
43. Limitations
44. Deciding and decisive are both correct
45. Understanding
46. My friend no longer eats fast food.
47. No matter how hard he tries, the business will never be a success.
48. Steve warned Mike against touching the wires because it might be deadly.
49. Had his parents not supported him, he wouldn’t have been successful.
50. He suggested that I stay in and watch a romantic movie this afternoon.

Faults (I copied the text from word. The boxes at the start is the listings, the ones in the middle of the sentences are “→”):
 3. Allow me to go: correct answer
 Allow my going isn’t fluent

 6. Lacking in  lack of

 11. After detecting: correct answer
 of Omicron  of the Omicron
 first cases  the first cases

 14. COVID 19  for COVID-19
 to have been  would have been
 of Omicron  of the Omicron
 been neutralized: passive voice misuse

 15. a necessity for all people: unclear sentences

 16. Unclear instructions.

 18. Had someone  if someone had

 19. Please contact me: tone suggests a question

 20. Reach  reach out to

 24. Turned to be  turned out to be
 Still: writing issue: wordy sentences

 25. The “th” in: birthday vs although, clothing vs clothes are pronounced differently

 28. The primary stress in: defensive, technician vs wonderful, spectator is different

VI:
 Lifts up the spirits  lifts spirits

 Keeps you  keep you

 Studies reveal  studies revealed
 Moving “studies reveal” also works: “Studies reveal that helping others has a positive effect on the body”

 Provides  provide

 and  , and (missing comma)

 Writing issues: wordy sentences:
 The kind of work  the work
 Helps you to reduce stress  helps you reduce stress

Fixed paragraph:
Being a volunteer builds self-confidence and lifts spirits. The work and experience gained as a volunteer are often worth much more than what one finds in any other typical line of work. Volunteering makes one feel good. Helping others has a positive effect on the body, studies revealed. Doing some form of service to others helps you reduce stress, combat depression, keep you mentally stimulated, and provide you with a sense of purpose. Does volunteerism play a vital role in the country’s development? The answer would be yes because volunteerism allows people to connect with the community and make it a better place for all.

 37. “give”: faulty tense sequence

 41. Injury  injury, (missing comma)
 Helped her to  helped her

 43. unclear sentence: “to achieve the target”.

 44. moment.  moments! The period should be replaced with an exclamation mark since the sentence expresses strong feelings.
 Action  act

 45. got on  gotten along

 50. misplaced words: said he to me  he said to me

1 Like

Let me take a closer look at all of this and I’ll get back to you on Wednesday.

1 Like

Yeah, appreciate it

1 Like

So, I took a closer look at everything and I must say that I am impressed. You did a great job and I think that submitting your results to the school administration and asking them to review the results of your test is absolutely sufficient. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

1 Like

I showed it to the school administration, and they called the teacher who came up with the exam. He denied every single fault and we got into an arguement. By the end of it, he was furiously screaming at me and it ended with him telling me “You know shit.” and storming off. (He was speaking in very gibberish English so nobody knew what he was saying except me)

1 Like

Thank you for the update. If you would like, you can invite the principal of your school and the teacher in question to join our discussion here on the forum. Angry screaming is always a sign of weakness that no teacher should show, ever.

I doubt that anyone still cares about the test at this point, we are currently having 2 weeks off to celebrate Lunar New Year. But thanks for the thought.

1 Like

Here’s what I came up with.

1 A
2 B
3 None are good. C is the best option
4 D
5 C
6 B ( “Lacking in” is very awkward. )
7 No mistake ( You could argue that “having” should be “owning” but I don’t agree. )
8 A
9 C
10 C ( This isn’t really wrong. It’s a common way to say it. )
11 None
12 D
13 C
14 None
15 B
16 B
17 B
18 A
19 B
20 A or C ( A is more common ) ( The use of the word reach is weird )
21 D
22 B
23 A
24 C ( However cold he turned to be ← This is wrong )
25 A
26 C
27 D
28 B
29 D
30 D
31 A
32 B
33 C
34 D
35 C
36 Surprisingly
37 Explanation
38 Economic
39 Environmentalists
40 Participatory
41 Competitiveness
42 None ( Representation might work, but it’s a VERY odd way to say it. )
43 Limitations ( Target is a poor choice of words. )
44 Deciding ( This is a very awkward sentence. )
45 Understanding ( This is also an awkward sentence. )
46 My friend no longer eats fast food.
47 No matter how hard he tries the business will never be successful.
48 Steve warned Mike about touching the wires because it might be deadly.
(I don’t know reported speech. I never even heard of it until recently.)
49 Had his parents not been supportive, he would not have been successful in his career.
50 He suggested I stay in this afternoon to watch a romantic movie.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for putting the time to do this, but my school has already stamped down my efforts to present faults in the test. I hope next time they’ll put in more effort for such an important exam.

1 Like