"I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

“I Heard It Through The Grapevine”

Oo, Bet you’re wond’ring how I knew 'bout your plans to make me blue
With some other guy that you knew before?
Between the two of us guys, you know I love you more.
It took me by surprise, I must say, when I found out yesterday. Oo,

[CHORUS:]
I heard it through the grapevine, not much longer would you be mine.
Oo, I heard it through the grapevine, and I’m just about to lose my mind.
Honey, honey yeah.

You know that a man ain’t supposed to cry, but these tears I can’t hold inside.
Losin’ you would end my life you see, 'cause you mean that much to me.
You could have told me yourself that you found someone else.
Instead,

[CHORUS]

People say you “Hear from what you see, na na not from what you hear.”
I can’t help bein’ confused; if it’s true, won’t you tell me dear?
Do you plan to let me go for the other guy that you knew before? Oo,

[CHORUS]

I like this lyrics for I’m like the guy in the lyrics. LOL. A lost and lonely guy.

regards.

Some years ago my English teacher brought an audio cassette with the song to our class and we listened :wink: She was a British student having her practice in Moscow.

This is one of the best songs of legendary Credence Clearwater Revival band as you may know. Who’ll stop the rain’ is a really good song too.

kind regards.

Yes, it is. I had their CD and there was a criminal story around it! The CD was stolen from my bf’s car with his car audio :wink:

Oh dear, then the thief had all cream. What did you do then, bought new car audio and more cds?. I believe so.

kind regards.

He bought a new car soon after :wink: As for me, I haven’t got neither the Creedence CD nor the bf now :wink: You can’t always get what you want… Another good song.

Oh dear, was your boyfriend also was stolen? Did you inform the police? ( I hope you don’t mind )

kind regards.

Oh Gosh, No! They normally steal something useful :wink:

That’s a very practical comment. LOL

kind regards.

That song didn’t originate with Creedence Clearwater Revival. They merely did a pale remake of it. It’s a classic Motown song from Detroit, and many groups did poor remakes of them. The Beatles especially recorded horrible performances of Motown songs.

Here is the original version:
youtube.com/watch?v=ah1cvL_ez-M

Dear Jamie K.
Thanks for the video, but what a shame here I can’t play it thanks to the lousy reception here. Still CCR made it great, I believe.
And thanks for your info. I like having more knowledge of anything. Oh you know I’m a blues man , I love blues.
kind regards.

Actually, no. Gladys Knight and the Pips (and their promoters at Motown) made it a very famous song, and a few years later CCR did an inferior version as album filler. People in the US remember the Motown version and not the CCR version.

Thank you I’ll try to download it . I’m curious to know why you prefer that version.

kind regards.

Dear Jamie K,

I’ve just listened Gladys’, It’s a jazz version. I assume. I prefer CCR’s.

Kind regards.

It’s not a jazz version. It’s an R&B version.

Actually, it’s a Motown version. That style is like a mixture of rock & roll and gospel music.

Actually, here is the first remake, also from Motown by Marvin Gaye. This is what CCR were imitating.

youtube.com/watch?v=hajBdDM2qdg

Ah yes, I forgot that since we’re not familiar with R&B here. But I think R&B is a kind of Jazz as well. Like jazzy blues.

kind regards.

It’s not jazz or jazzy blues. As I said, it’s more like rock & roll mixed with gospel. Except for the lyrics, you often can’t tell it apart from black gospel music. Americans can tell R&B from blues and jazz, and people like me can even hear which old records were recorded in Detroit, and which in Philadelphia. (That’s when it was possible for musicians to become famous from Detroit or Philadelphia. Later, the Canadian government unwittingly ruined the Detroit music industry, and I guess Philadelphia was done in by centralization in the broadcasting and recording industries.)

The studio musicians on these recordings included rock musicians, jazz musicians and members of the Detroit Symphony. Some of the symphony musicians had trouble with the rhythms and the chord progressions, but the ones from overseas who were used to playing Hungarian folk music, for example, thought the music was easy.

You’re very musical too. Thank you.

kind regards.