I have some question from previous TOEFL exams

Hi everybody, in order to prepare for the TOEFL test I was reviewing previous tests and came to some questions for which I could find no answer!!! I really need help …
plz those who have taken previous exams and others who have proficiency in english grammer help me.
thanks a lot, here are the questions:
(2003-8=Q7)
1- Living organisms contain more water _________ substance.
(A) than do any other
(B) does than any other
(C) other than do they any
(D) than they do any other

(2003-8=Q12)
2. At its center, the sun has a density of over a hundred times _________ and a temperature of
10 to 20 million degrees centigrade.
(A) that of water
(B) of water
(C) than that of water
(D) water

(2002-10 Q=40)
A mutation is result of a definite biochemical change in a gene that uses the offspring to vary in some characteristic from the parents

(2002-10 Q=35)
Orchid seeds take up to eighteen months to mature before they sprout, and the young plants may need another two years to reach at the flowering stage.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students at their university cafeteria

1. Living organisms contain more water than they do any other substance.

2. At its center, the sun has a density of over a hundred times that of water and a temperature of 10 to 20 million degrees centigrade.

Hi and welcome to our forum. If you want to prepare for the TOEFL test you might want to learn some basic rules of English. For example, the word ‘english’ does not exist neither don’t ‘plz’, ‘hi’ or ‘grammer’: grammar vs. grammer

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Surveyors on site[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Mosiiniut,

My suggested solutions are in boldface type inside the quote. I agree with Torsten that to maximize your success on the TOEFL, you should focus not only on test preparation questions, but also on the way you write. Bad habits tend to die very hard, and the TOEFL is not a test of “chatroom English”. :wink:

I agree with Gray about sentences 1 and 2. Add the word “the” in sentence 3, and remove the word “at” in sentence 4. (Sentence 3 also seems to have two typos. I presume that “auses” should be “uses”, and there should be a period at the end of the sentence.)

Hi back
Thanks for your kind help and answers.
A question that still exist here for me is the answer to the first question. I chose (A) "than do any other " and don’t understand why the correct answer is (D) which you have mentioned! Please Help me with further information if possible!
Thank you for your kind remarks about my style of writting,as a matter of fact it is not so bad that you think, I just wrote this way because it is supposed to be a Forum, but now I see that I am to write correctly all the time! Ok,I will try to do my best.

Hello Mosiiniut,

These sentences would all mean the same thing:

• Living organisms contain more water than any other substance contains.
  • Living organisms contain more water than any other substance does.
  • Living organisms contain more water than does any other substance.

The words “contains” and “does” must agree with the singular word “substance”.

While those sentences are grammatically correct, they are wrong factually. The second half of each of the above sentences refers to the amount of “water that any other substance contains”.
Option A is incorrect because the verb “do” is not in the third person singular form.
Also note that although option B is similar to the third sentence above, the word order is incorrect.

In order to use (the plural form) “do” as a replacement for “contain”, you must either repeat the words “living organisms” or use “they”:

• Living organisms contain more water than they contain any other substance.
  • Living organisms contain more water than they do any other substance.

I hope that helps.

hi
i’m an english teacher and i like to get tofel
can you please tell me about costs and gives me some help

thank you

Hello Mahmed,
I can help you register for the TOEFL test online,It costs about $160 for the iBT or the pBT depending on your location.
If you are interested then E-mail me on infobizspot@gmail.com

Hi
I am new to this forum but the answers given here to questions are so good.I need to take TOEFL exam in another 30 days.I know that its all about Listening ,Speaking,Reading and Writing.I can spare one hour a day for preparation.will that be suffice? can i get a score of 1oo?i have learnt english as a second language for the last 10 years and i have taken Business English Course vantage(BEC) by Cambridge university.can you suggest me ways to crack TOEFL in short time.As far i am concerned i can crack reading and writing.speaking might be difficult for me.No idea about listening yet.
Looking forward for the relies from you
Thank You