I have read last/I read last/had he heard recently

1.which is correct?:
a. I have read last that everything is relative in this world.
b. I read last that everything is relative in this world.

a.Where had he heard that name recently?
why not:
b.Where has he heard that name recently?

many,many thanks! :):slight_smile:

1a and 1b are both possible, though 1a, especially, seems a little unusual. They mean that “everything is relative in this world” was the final thing that you read (e.g. the final thing in a book or essay). The usual distinction between present perfect (“I have read”) and simple past (“I read”) applies.

2a and 2b are both possible. The usual difference between past perfect (“Where had he heard”) and present perfect (“Where has he heard”) applies.

why is 2a. possible and when we should use it?

thanks again!!!

Hi Saneta,

You would say: Where had he heard …? where there is a reference to a past time or there is a stated past time. Let me give an example:

Where had he heard about that when you last saw him? I have a problem with adding ‘recently’ to that because the two times clash. I also am not at all happy with 1a and 1b and would substitute ‘lately’ for ‘last’.

I envisaged “Where had he heard that name recently?” being used in a past-tense narrative. For example, “He scratched his head and pondered. Where had he heard that name recently?”

I agree that “I read last that …” is a poor way of saying “I read lately that …” if the latter is what is meant. However, in my opinion, “I read last that …” is correct (albeit not especially common) if it refers to the final thing read in a certain context.

Dozy and Alan,
Thank you very much!!!