I have always [wanted, considered, …]

Hi

I know that it’s pretty normal to use always with (within) the Present Perfect.
I just wonder if it’s really necessary in the case.

What would change in the meaning if I just said, “I always considered”, etc.?

Hi Tamara,

It very much depends on the aspect, the way you look at it.

If you say:

I have always wanted to drive a sports car and now I have one, I’m over the moan. That suggests that the wanting has gone on up till now.

If you say:

I always wanted to live in a farmhouse when I was a child.

That tells you that the wanting went on for the time you were a child but it has no reference to now because you are no longer a child.

Alan

Hi

Yes, Alan, in this case it’s clear.

I meant that if I say "I always wanted to live in a farmhouse[color=red][size=92] full stop[/size]

would it mean exactly the same? (up till now)

Or it’s too ‘American’ for the UK use?

Hi Tamara,

In your sentence:

There is a hint to me that it’s too late now but on reflection it could also mean that you are describing a wanting you had in the past and here you are in the farmhouse.

Hope I haven’t confused the issue.

Alan

Hi Tamara

Believe it or not, it’s not unheard of for Americans to use present perfect. :lol: We just tend to use it less often.

In your sentence and with no further context, I’d say an American would assume that the wanting has ended — possibly because you now live in a farmhouse (and therefore you don’t have to yearn for it anymore).

Amy

So, if I understand you right, to you (both) use of Present Perfect in this case indicates that the objective situation is (has been :)) changed. (That has affected the willing, in some way/sense).

Thanks.

Hi Tamara

Yes, for me the ‘longing for something’ is finished.

And now you’re either glad you finally have it or are asking yourself why in the world you ever wanted it in the first place … :lol:

Amy

Hmmmmmm…

Amy… let’s consider that I ask (smb. :slight_smile: ) a question like

What have you always wanted to do?

What do I actually mean here? :slight_smile:

Hi Tamara

With no other context, I’d understand that the person should tell you about something that they have not done yet, but have always wanted to do. They’re still hoping it’ll happen. :lol:

Amy

OK.

Now I ask

What did you always want to do?

(Does in this case - to you - there is a bit of hopelessness (unfeasibility :frowning: ),
sounding in the question itself ) ?)

If you asked an American “What did you always want to do?”…

Well, I’d say if you asked that question out of the blue (i.e., interpretation is based on only that sentence alone), then I assume they’d understand the same thing as in the present perfect question. 8)

Amy

Thank you, Amy, indeed (and sorry for the ‘interrogation’… :slight_smile: )

Hopefully, Alan will add something about how the questions sound for British ears…