I have a photo card and a license card

A: Oh, sure but you can’t take it on the street.

B: Why not?

A: Because you haven’t got a driver’s license. Look, like this.
This is my driver’s license. See, I have a photo card and a license card.

B: If I had a driver’s license, then could I drive on the street?

A: Aha.

What does “photo card” mean?

What is an exact synonym for “photo card”?

Thank you

Photo card

3 Likes

It’s a photo ID:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Torsten :two_hearts:

1 Like

When you shorten Identity or Identification, you write Id.

When you write it as ID, doesn’t it seem to mean something like Identity Disc since when you write it as IC, it means Identity Card?

I have been asked this question many often, Torsten.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that Chips’ driving instructor has both a Photo Card and a Driver’s License. This is apparently now illegal in Ontario.
Currently, in the U.S. and in Ontario the Driver’s License is a photo ID.
The Photo Card or Photo ID is issued to people who don’t have a drivers license but need a government issued ID.

BTW, since Chips is in Ontario, he would need a Driver’s Licence

2 Likes

In the US ID is almost always upper case. It’s pronounced as two individual letters, not as a shortened from of the word.

I’ve never heard of Identity Disc. That’s not what it means here.

Driver’s licenses are issued by the state. Official photo IDs are also issued by the state. Photo IDs are often called picture IDs. There are many other types of ID that may or may not have a picture.

It’s not always necessary to use an official government issued ID. For example an employer issued ID with a photo might be acceptable for some things. Even utility bills with your name and address is acceptable for some things (for example to get a library card).

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Anglophile :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you so much, Arinker :two_hearts:

1 Like

In the US, ID is almost always upper case. It’s pronounced as two individual letters, not as a shortened from of the word.
In that case, shouldn’t those two individual letters mean two individual words?

2 Likes

It’s just one word. For some reason they do it that way. It’s been that way ever since I remember. The dictionary I checked shows it that way also.

I used to be a draftsman. ID and OD are Inside Diameter and Outside Diameter.

2 Likes