'I find improbable to begin with…'

Hi

(Amy, sorry, I’ve taken your phrase as an example to ask my old question :slight_smile: )

Improbable directly refers to ‘probability’, even I understand that ‘improbabity’ informally means ‘impossibility’ (which is, in fact, much less ‘science-loaded’ word :slight_smile: )

That sounds fine when ‘I find it improbable/impossible’ is used to talk about some external events or circumstances.
But to me using ‘improbable’ in regards to own actions still sounds a bit strange.

Please… say something to make me more tolerant :slight_smile: to using improbable in such a way.

Hi Tamara

The word improbable is definitely not the same as impossible.:wink:

Improbable means unlikely. Do you have any trouble using the word unlikely?

In my sentence I described the word grouping as improbable.
In other words, in my opinion it is unlikely that such a grouping of words could realistically be used in a sentence.

I found the group of words to be improbable because I didn’t sense any realistic way to actually use it in a sentence.

Amy

Unlikely?
OK, then.
less unlikely, more unlikely… no problem… :slight_smile:

Could you, please, (by the way :)) give a comment about this use:
He did the improbable to begin his political career.

(the) impossible? unbeliavable? unfeasible?

It depends on what you mean by improbable. “He did the impossible” is a fairly standard collocation. “He did the improbable” would be unusual.

In Q’s thread, I had the sense that it would be somewhere between difficult and impossible to actually use the group of words given in a logical sentence. So, from the first time (the beginning) that I looked at the group of words, a meaningful usage seemed unlikely.

I didn’t want to waste my time trying to explain something that didn’t seem to make much sense to begin with.

Amy

Amy, I’ve understood.

Thank you, indeed.