‘I can’t be bothered with’ suggests I am really not interested to take the time to do something

Hi everyone,

Is the meaning of the following sentences correct and are they grammatically correct?

• Her last novel was so bad (that) I didn’t bother finish(ing) reading it. ( meaning: so I didn’t finish reading the novel because it was so bad)

• I didn’t bother ironing my shirts. (meaning: I didn’t do any efforts to iron them, because I didn’t find it important to iron them or to get them ironed)

And what exactly does the expression ‘I couldn’t be bothered with it.’ mean? I think I know, but I want some confirmation.

Thank you
Alex.

1 Like

Hi,

‘I can’t be bothered with’ suggests I am really not interested to take the time to do something/I am not prepared to do something as in: I was so tired last night that I couldn’t be bothered to do the washing up. I couldn’t be bothered to cut the grass this week and I don’t really care if it is too long. ‘Don’t bother’ means: Don’t do anything = It’s not important. The expression is similar to: I couldn’t care less. ‘I can’t be bothered with it’ means: I am not interested in doing anything with it

Alan

1 Like

Thanks Alan.

1 Like