I am going to get my photo taken.?

Hi teachers,

1. I have given up sweet things. I control myself with very difficult if I see some sweet things. Correct it, please?

2. The shuttlecock fell into dirty water. If there is not much water. The road is wet with dirty water then can we say "The shuttlecock fell on dirty water?

3. Supposing I am applying for a job and I need a photo of myself to attach. How to say? I am going to get a photo of myself. I am going to get my photo taken.?

Many thanks in advance.

Hey,

1. I have given up sweet things. It is very difficult to control myself ( I would say [color=red]not to eat sweet things when I see some. ) or [color=red]It is very difficult to control myself If/when I see sweet things.

2. I have nothing to say regarding this. Hopefully a native speaker is going to answer this.

3. Both are acceptable however the second one is more formal. ‘Supposing’ is in a wrong order.[color=red] I am applying for a job and I suppose ( or supposing) I need a photo of myself to attach.( in order to get me accepted as a prospective employee).

1. I have given up sweet things. I control myself with [color=green]great difficulty if I see some sweet things.

2. The shuttlecock fell into dirty water.
    If there is not much water, the road is wet with dirty water then can we say “The shuttlecock fell on dirty water” [color=green]You could, is suppose, or ‘onto’ – though to clarify in those circumstances I would say 'onto a dirty, wet road.

3. Supposing I am applying for a job and I need a photo of myself to attach. How to say? I am going to get a photo of myself. I am going to get my photo taken.?
    [color=green]Either of those would do, though I prefer the second.

1. Your first sentence does not work as a sentence in its own right – you would need to say something like ‘I have resolved not to eat sweet things when I see them’. This changes the meaning of the original slightly as it only indicates you have given up what you see. Your second sentence is okay, but doesn’t give the indication that you have given up eating the sweet things that you used to eat.

2. There is nothing wrong with the position of ‘supposing’ in the third sentence. Your interpretation changes the meaning entirely.

Thank you very much, Madam BN.

You would prefer “I am going to get my photo taken.” means you will go to a shop and the photographer will take your picture. Right?

I am going to the photographer’s. Correct?

yes, and yes :slight_smile: