I am afraid to ____ your car, so let's go to the flower shop on foot

Samuel: I am afraid to ____ your car, so let’s go to the flower shop on foot.
Susan: Sorry. I will have to be a careful driver.
( A) take ( B) drive ( C) ride in ( D) get on
The answer is choice C. What’s wrong with choice A?

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay, but I haven’t really come up with my usual fantastic answer! I guess I would go with C because it is the only answer that definitely means that he is afraid to be the passenger. “Take” could also mean to be a passenger, but in this context it could also mean that Samuel would be the driver - “Can I take your car to the store?” = “Can I borrow your car and drive it to the store?” “Can we take your car to the store?” = “Can you drive us in your car to the store?”

3 Likes

What do you mean by that clause?
Does “fantastic” mean “extremely good” here?

2 Likes

Luschen, choice C is also confirmed by the supporting reply by Susan: Sorry. I’ll have to be a careful driver.

3 Likes

That’s a surprising question. At first sight one will think that Luschen is blowing his own trumpet. But the word fantastic also means fanciful, strange etc.

In fact, Luschen’s answers are mostly convincing and extraordinary!

3 Likes

Ha ha! Thank you Anglophile - I suppose I was indeed blowing my own trumpet, but now I have you to blow it for me. Thank you for your kind words.

Yes Teo, I agree that “fantastic” might not have been the best word choice. I meant “excellent”, but as you say, fantastic can mean “not really true”. Perhaps my answers sometimes are not true, but I do try my best!

4 Likes