I am a buoyant, slender, narrow boat that is tapered at both ends and I'm driven by passengers who use paddles to move me along various waterways. What am I?

I am a buoyant, slender, narrow boat that is tapered at both ends and I'm driven by passengers who use paddles to move me along various waterways. What am I? ...... (*) A canoe (*) A bobsled (*) A rocket (*) A minivan

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/17496,i-am-a-buoyant-slender-narrow-boat-that-is-tapered-at-both-ends-and-im-driven-by-passengers-who-use-paddles-to-move-me-along-various-waterways-what-am-i-___/
1 Like

You are a canoe, I think.

2 Likes

That’s right. Have you paddled in a canoe before?

1 Like

Sorry to return to this topic, but:

1. In British English, the term “canoe” can also refer to a kayak, while canoes are then called Canadian or open canoes to distinguish them from kayaks. (Wikipedia). In either case, the answer is correct.
  2. it doesn’t look like the gentleman in the picture has paddled a canoe before. Considering the spacing of the seats and their scooped shape, I believe he is facing backwards, which could be painful.
2 Likes

I wasn’t even aware of the fact that there is a difference between a canoe and a kayak so thanks a lot for bringing this up. Interestingly enough the author of this test is herself a Canadian. (Just an attempt at a pun.)

Apparently the photo is just another stock image that doesn’t resemble reality.

1 Like