I added the master's touch

Hello everyone,

In the 1964 movie Mission to Venice there is a scene where Michael and Maria are at a small restaurant.
The manager named Paul (he’s Michael’s friend) comes to them and says,“Another ten minutes and it’ll be ready. For you I added the master’s touch.”

What does “master’s touch” mean here?

The scene in question is at 37.35.

Thank you.

3 Likes

The chef has taken special attention to the dish. It would be cooked perfectly, with perhaps a special garnish.

More generally, the finest in their artistic field is providing their special attention to detail.
Leonardo provided the masters touch to a painting done primarily by others.

3 Likes

Thank you very much, Arinker, it’s perfectly clear now.

2 Likes

Hi Klpno,

I’d like to know why you’re enjoying this film so much. I’m only asking, because if you can just explain a tiny little bit, I might watch it as well.

3 Likes

Hi Marc,

Well, it’s simple. In the early nineties, James Hadley Chase books were very popular in my country. My parents bought some of his books and I started to read them. I really liked them and asked my parents to buy the rest of Chase books available. Mission to Venice was one of the first Chase books I read, and I enjoyed it. So it is very interesting for me to watch this film and compare it with the book.

As a child I read it in translation and now I can read it in English too.

The only thing that is a bit sad is that the movie is originally in French, not in English.

2 Likes

How wonderful for you! Tell me, is the novel better than the film or do they both live up to your expectations?

2 Likes

Well, the film is good and I’m very glad I’ve found it, but I’d say the novel is better.
But I must also add that the film has a wonderful music score.

2 Likes

So, you like the novel better. Well, that’s made me curious. If I can get a copy, I’ll read it and I’ll let you know whether I liked it or not.

2 Likes