"However fast you..." vs "No matter how..."

Now that cracked me up :lol: Really Molly, what are you going to do with all that information…err… data? :smiley:

Doing your smoke and mirrors routine again, Molly?

Doing you avoid all such questions like the plague routine again, Amy? You have the Mr P-astor habit of expecting people to answer many of your questions but baulk at answering the questions of others. Why is that?

Do you have a credible source for that?

I’m glad that you’ve finally realized that the corpora are not perfect. When do you expect perfection to be reached and who is going to tell us?

You seem to make lots of mistakes. You erroneously stated shortly after your appearance here that I had never used corpora. You pompously presumed that I knew nothing about corpora. You chose to sarcastically answer my question about the necessity of spitting words in the corpora. (In view of the crazy “scores” posted in this thread, it would seem that I was quite justified in questioning that corpus practice.)

In fact, I have used corpora for quite some time, and have also suggested that others use them as a resource – especially for finding examples of how words are used in context, for example. However, I advise against using corpora blindly – as you did in this thread. And I don’t believe that a string of corpus numbers will help the majority of ESL students speak English better. :wink:

What type of source would be credible in you eyes?

Wow, you really are a wool-puller, aren’t you? I’ve said many times that one should CHECK MANY SOURCES. Have you gone deaf or something?

NO SPITTING ALLOWED. :lol:

But you’ve never advised anyone on how to search contractions, right?

Nor will some of the advice of certain native speakers, right? Multi-source searching called for. Checking examples in context, consideration of registers, knowing more about the teacher’s: social background, language bias, socio-political stance on language use/acceptability, age, nationality, gender etc. all help to make a better user of a language. The “Baa-baa!” approach to language learning has long since left (most) of us. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Amy,

Don’t take it amiss as I know it was just a typo but I felt that ‘spitting words’ does tend to sum up this elongated thread.

Alan

:lol:

Yes, you may be right, Alan. And I suppose I don’t actually need to know what Molly’s smoky reaction to 94% would be. :wink:

Nor I regarding your answer to “Let’s say that for years, based on you native intuition…”

If you only want to receive answers and do not want to give them, the word “forum” has no meaning, does it?

Around 5-6 percent less. Now we’re on about 20 answers from me and 1 from you. :wink: You may “owe” me.

99.8% is probably about right… and the 0.2% that are “can not” are attributable to careless editing.

hehe

Molly, I’m not sure if someone has already answered this, but I would imagine most of us think of “cannot” as one word.

IMO, the best way to research this is to read – novels, articles, etc.

read published work – not some grammar-challenged person’s usage mutilations on the web.

Some usage mistakes are popular, but the fact that they’re popular does not make them correct.

Who are the experts?

Frequently Asked Questions

Spelling

Can ‘cannot’ also be written as two words ‘can not’? Printer Friendly Version

Both cannot and can not are acceptable spellings, but the first is much more usual. You would use can not when the ‘not’ forms part of another construction such as ‘not only’

askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ … ot?view=uk

Go Oxford, go! :wink:

:?

How does that support:

?

MrP

How does labouring the issue support forum use? Moving on… (if you’re ready that is).