How well do you know Ukraine?

Here you can find out what you know or don’t know about Ukraine: How well do you know Ukraine?

TOEIC listening, question-response: Didn’t you use to work in sales?

Good idea, Torsten.
Still I have to take issue with whoever responsible for the choice of questions. Two of them about Roshen—the sponsors?.. The size of the country, the alphabet, language enhancement app—why expect anybody outside Ukraine to know/be interested in such things?
To me, for a total stranger (and overwhelming majority on this forum are just that) it should be a mix of well-known (even for them) facts and some new things whetting your interest in the country.

1 Like

Hi Eugene, I’m the guy who creates these tests and I want them to feature questions different to the ones already available on the Internet. I’ve received very positive feedback from quite a range of Ukrainians as well as non-Ukrainians.

You say you expect different questions, can you give me some examples? What kind of questions would whet your interest in Ukraine? You definitely have whetted my interest in your opinion on this question.

TOEIC listening, question-response: I bet the shipment will be late again.

Hi Torsten,
I’m not going to go into details, you’re doing a great job here.

If you want my opinion, we have Світоч, АВК, Житомирські Ласощі, Нестле Украина etc. as well. Why single out Roshen? (and why should I know the symbol of Roshen-- Ukraine is not only Roshen)?

I would leave out the two about Roshen, and the two about Ukrainian startup and language enhancement app—they are too narrow for a commoner (I’m Ukrainian, and I was struggling with 4, 7, 8).

The names which you may know to be Ukrainian are: Shevchenko (a poet and a footballer); the Klitschko brothers; Sergey Bubka (and his records); Vasyl Virastyuk (a strongman); Kvitka Cassie Cisyk (a singer); Ruslana (a winner of the Eurovision Song Contest); Mykola Leontovych ( the composer of Shchedryk known to the English as Carol of the Bells); Anna Yaroslavna (a daughter of the Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise, Queen consort of Henry I of France); Ihor Sikorskyi (the constructor of helicopters)…

The subjects you may include/not include: Ukrainian currency; Ukrainian biggest river; the national colours of Ukraine; geographical position—I think you’ve grasped my idea. Known and unknown together, in a mix.

1 Like

OK, thanks a lot your input, I’ll think about your proposals and how to implement them.

TOEIC listening, question-response: What about the weekly sales report?

I can’t open the link. I am from China. In my memory, Ukraine is a great country.
China’s first aircraft carrier is bought from Ukraine. Ukraine also has the world largest airplane, an-225. China bought a lot of military technologies from Ukraine, like carrier based airplane J15.

One president of Soviet Union is a Ukrainian. I don’t know how to spell his name in English. In Chinese, his name pronounced like Boliezhnev.

Ukraine’s agriculture is very famous. They have lager and fertile land. A great country.

1 Like

Hello Bigape, how are things with you in Tianjin? It’s great to see you back with such an interesting response to our knowledge test on Ukraine. You say you can’t open the link. Why is this?

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you know which road goes to Smallville?

I couldn’t open the link last time. But this time I can open it.

Tianjin is not a good place. I mean maybe China is not a good place. Whenever I want say something on a Chinese BBS, my post always be censored. I am tired of that. So I come here. Here is a good place to practice English. Thanks for Torsten’s great work. You maintained this forum. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Hi Bigape, I’m glad you can open the link now. As for your frustration, I can relate to it because I, too, grew up in a country where there was no freedom whatsoever. China might be slightly different for a number of reasons. I’m sure that sooner or later you will be able to say anything you think in China too.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you want juice or milk?

I am afraid I can’t see that day. :slight_smile: China Communist Party is still very stronger and powerful. Their control on speech is still very tighter。I didn’t see any sign on loosing control. So forget it. I can access your website, that’s enough. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, even the Communist Party of China can’t control the thoughts of all Chinese citizens. Sooner or later the middle class of China will want to live in a true democracy and they will start to realize that the current political system is lagging way behind the level of technological and economic progress China has already achieved.

TOEIC listening, question-response: When will the sale start?

Staying with the title question though, the following link could just give you an insight into the minds of simple Ukrainians.
bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44235486

1 Like

Here are two new tests on Ukraine by @Andrea

1 Like