How to use the phrase "have had"?

1,Can somebody explains what is “have had”,how to use it?example please.

2,When can i use “i’d”? example please…

Appreciate it.thanks

59rd

Have you ever had to work overtime?
I’d help you out if I could.

“Have had” is a present perfect construction which you can use for a multitude of contexts.

By the way, your sentence should read ‘Can somebody please explain (not explains)…’ Also, please try to stick to proper spelling and punctuation. Finally, it would be great if you could read and follow these instructions: Why is a meaningful message title so important?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: Which event or development did not strongly influence the history of bread?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thank you,Torsten.
But i have ever heard that (Someone,Somebody,Everybody,Everyone) are counted as singular tense,which i should add S after them.

Correct my and my sentences above please.
thanks.

In your sentence there are two verbs – can and explain. The verb ‘can’ never changes in the simple present (I can, you can, he can, she can…) The second verb ‘explain’ is in the infinitive form because it is followed by the modal verb ‘can’.

Hop this helps.
By the way, the personal pronoun “I” is alway capitalized.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: What happened at the Potsdam Conference?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi 59rd

You put an S on the end of a verb only in the simple present tense in the third person singular. ‘[color=blue]Can explain’ is not the simple present tense of the verb ‘explain’. You use ‘[color=blue]can’ with the bare infinitive of another verb:

• He tells us how to do everything. (simple present tense of the verb ‘tell’)
  • He [color=blue]can tell us how to do it. (‘can’ + bare infinitive of the verb ‘tell’)
  • [color=blue]Can somebody [color=blue]explain what ‘have had’ is? (‘can’ + bare infinitive of the verb ‘explain’)

As Torsten mentioned, ‘have had’ is the present perfect form of the verb ‘have’. To learn how to use ‘have had’, you need to study the present perfect tense.

The word I’d could be either a contraction of I had or a contraction of I would:

• I’d already left by the time they arrived. (I’d = I had)
  • I’d like to speak to the manager, please. (I’d = I would)
  • I’d buy a Ferrari if I won the lottery. (I’d = I would)