How to learn English?

Hi everyone! this topic is important …well about my method if we can call it that, I read grammar books and try to do some reading read articles, about different topics.
any thing i can find and still use my dictionary when come across difficult words or phrases. writing emails helps me too,regarding my writing and I write on my dairy some thoughts just to force myself to write. Honestly I find listening to native speakers very helpful really made a difference for me. SO I do watch movies with out translation and listen to English songs and radios and tv shows.
All the best.

Hi Torsten,

thx for your lesson in email its very helpfull for me to learn english…but my problem is same with the others.
Vocabulary…can you teach us about fast method to learn vocabulary??

thx

Hello, Violino. That’s great! And you are 100% right. Actually I also speak English to myself, especially when I dream. :slight_smile: now I will do it more often.

Hello Mr Torsten
it is good to see you on the website again. In my view poin the excellent way to learn english is get your favourate together with the language you are going to pick up forexample i favor singing and like the english songs and the movies as well. reading is the best way i guss so always try to read more books that is easy to read .

A very easy way to learn english is MORE YOU READ AND THEN WRITE THAT IN YOUR OWN WORDS.
there are some steps which can make help you to improve your english.

1. daily read newspaper,because by reading your vocabulary will increase and you will learn more words.
  2. keep FRANKLIN(a digital ditionary) always with yourself,to find meanings.
  3. whatever you read try to write in your own words.
  4. keep your room locked and try to speak any kinds of words in english infront of mirror,it increase your level of confidence to speak and you will in the society never shy to speak english.

Hello Torsten,

I try to improve my english by listening to the news,reading and through english sites online.
Every spare moment I have I try to read or listen to the news and now,to complete the tests you send me which are very helpfull.

thank you

Regards

Hello,
About the sharing ideas,
well by myself I’m trying to hear and to red as much as possible English.
Sometimes I’m concentrating only to hear the news from BBC and sometimes I’m downloading different materials from internet and trying to read and listen in the same time. That’s it what I’m doing :slight_smile:
It was nice to read the other ideas as well in this forum.

Have a nice Day!

red* read
sorry :wink:

Hello everyone,
I’m not good in English. I would like to improve my English but I don’t like to read the books.
So, I learn English from TV channel on cable. I watch it everyday and I listen to BBC radio while I’m working too.
My big problem in English is Gramma! It’s very hard for me to remember. I always forget gramma while I’m speaking.
And I can’t speak if I worry about gramma. Does anyone has same problem as me?

Best regards,
Saowaros

Hello, and how are you Mr. Torsten? I’m trying to improve my english using a variety of methods, like listening listening listening mini stories, movies, news. Also reading easy books and translating the new words, and then reviewing them often.But it’s hard for me to speak, not all the time, but sometimes I must remember words to speak and it takes me time. What should I do, to make it easier? ok, please correct me if I wrote something wrong. Thank’s.

peace be upon you Mr Torsten
For me their are many ways to study English,the first way is to learn new words and there meaning then use them in sentences to remember them.Second way is to listen to English songs
and to watch English movies.Third method is every thing I want to write in English;like my diaries and other things.Fourth I used to have conversations in English with my friends.Fifth way is to learn a lot of books.

In the name of Allah
Hi, everyone
I think the best way to learn English is finding someone to talk to him/her in English.
He/She can correct my mistakes and helps me to improve my English as fast as is’s possible.

Do you agree with me?
Thanks
Hamed

Hi! How fast should we learn is individual. There are quite a lot of aspects influencing the process of learning. They are time, perception, physical ability and others. That is why, one can learn things fast while another has slow progress. Have a nice day! Bye. valeraphil.

Hi Torsten
I always try to improve English by reading and listening to TV. or radio .
Abdalmoniem

Hi,
This is kamlesh narwariya. I emphasise on the four basic aspects of learning a language ie. reading, writing, listening and speaking. Besides, develop grammer skill by with the help of your site and some good grammer books.

Hi Torsten
i am very glad to come across this important topic which learning english language.In fact it s among today’s subject it is a topic that i have been interested in since my university studies and fortunately i did some research in it it was the topic of my research paper of english studies in university,it s applied linguistics.i found out that what the American Linguist Stephan Krashen said is what we need here. Krashen said “The best methods are therefore those that supply ‘comprehensible input’ in low anxiety situations, containing messages that students really want to hear. These methods do not force early production in the second language, but allow students to produce when they are ‘ready’, recognizing that improvement comes from supplying communicative and comprehensible input, and not from forcing and correcting production” so this comprehensible input can be found by many means like films , getting palfriend, listening to music, and so and fort
concerning me i read books (while i am reading a certain book i put my dictionary in my right hand and and a pencile in my left hand so whenever i come across a new word or expression i underline it then check it in my dictionary when i finsh reading the book i restart it from the begining. it works well. also when i chat with friends i use it even though they try to use other languages

hi many thanks for your educational emails i ;ve learned english by watching movies and self studing…warm regards

Hello Torsten,I go to an English class three times a week.If I donot go to any English classes,I donot take time to learn English because I am busy.I also listen to an audio book and English music everyday.I really like it.Sometimes I watch movies too.

Hi ,

I prefer to study english from movies . I add the english subtitle to the movie and start watch and study . I add the english subtitle
because I can not understand the dialogue , but this method has a disadvantage delay improving my listening skills, I do not know your opinion .

Hi Everybody,

I use to read academic articles because I study civil rights in USA. Recently I did a course with students from Austin, Texas. I confess that is very difficult, because the vocabulary is more sophisticated. I did my own dictionary with the translation, explanation in English and synonymous. I’m doing it slowly. I also re-write the good phrases to begining or ending a thought. The expressions in general I like to keep in another notebook, where I include some observations. My books in English are always marked with highlights and notes because I always read the same book twice. First time, I take a note of everything I have doubt, second time I read more confident and I pay attention to the narrative not the grammar. Of course, all of these steps take time but I think the result is efficient. I hope I could bring some good tips to you.

Until next time!