How to improve your pronunciation?

I have just set up my profile here and I absolutly love it!

Hi everybody,

Regarding your question, I can tell you that everytime I teach how to pronounce the word “touch”, I write the phonetic symbols of the word on the board. Then I make my students to repeat chorally after me. If it’s necessary, I mime as if I were tired as I pronounce touch.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
tendersandy

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for your message, which I enjoyed listening to. It is always good to receive recordings form our members because it makes the whole process of teaching and learning come alive. You obviously get pleasure from speaking English and I know that you will continue to make progress, You are very good at speaking at the moment and I am sure that your knowledge of English will increase. To answer your question about which type of English we use on the site I have to say that there are no firm and fixed rules on the matter. As you probably know, I come from the UK and am one of the co founders of the site along with Torsten and Slava. Initially when we started some 6 years ago there was an emphasis on British English as I wrote the first few hundred of the tests that are online. Since then of course our regular contributors include those from the USA. The differences between the two types of English are quite marginal and sometimes there are discussions about which one should be ‘accepted’. My view is that it is the same language and we shouldn’t get too worked up about the differences. After all as human beings we are all different in looks and ways of speaking. Even in my geographically small country people in different parts will use different words that belong to their region. Let’s not worry too much about it.

Anyhow congratulations on your excellent English and hope to hear from you again.

Alan

Hii… Mr. Torsten.

I’m Amal from India.I like learning Different accents.but Actually I love
american Accent even though I’m an Indian…and the Indian English accent is
far different from American.

But the Sourse from I learn American Accent is English Movies.
I dont know how much good my Pronunciation is. In India Most of the people tries
to learn the British Accent and at schools We get phonetics classes but my meidum
of Education was not English It was my mother tongue but with My own effort I learned English Accent.

because I love The Language .When We love a particular subject It’ll be surely
easier and more interesting to learn.

and one thing Is I’m a singer.I have sung in Music albums and some Indian Movies too.
My songs are mostly Western type . and I have sung english songs too.
American Accent is easier for me to understand but British Accent is not easy
for me…Now I start to Love British Accent from this site actually Sue’s Audio
recordings…I’m now trying to learn more British Accent styles and sounds.

There are many accents of English like British, American,Australian,Irish and
other regional. but the most important thing is When We communicate with someone
Use the Best Accent for The Communication for the listener to understand clearly
and then onyl the Cmmunication will be successful.
well jus listen to one of my songs

Ths song is in the Language Malayalam but the second stanza, There are English
lines coming, so please listen to it.
and reply me some comments.

youtube.com/watch?v=cM1Dm1MIVSQ

thanks.
AmaL :slight_smile:

Dear Alan and Torsten.

I have read the essay “Are you a winer” and must say it is just grate. First of all the language is very natural and melodical. Set of advice given there are very useful.

Yet, I have two questions to both of you.

In the essay you use very often the phrase ‘the avarage English learner’. What I don’t understand is why you use there an article “the”? According to my logic it should be the article “an” and the phrase would look “an average English learner”. Could you please be so kind to explain this to me?!

Next question is the following:
In one paragraph you say that lots of English learners are not satisfied with their English and then goes the sentence: Most of them know that their learning efforts are not yielding the results they expect.
Could you please be so kind to explain to me why in the phrase ‘their learning efforts are not yielding the result they expect’ the Present Continuos is used? Why not Present Indefinite?

Thank you in advance.
I am very grateful to you for your job!

Orest.

practice with your friends not just mirror

hi i’m lynda i’d like to speak to you Mr torsten but i don’t have the corage to do that even in my day life whene i try to talk in english i pay atention to my faults and can’t finish my sentece. i need your advice please .thank you.

Hi I am Ashu, I am unable to register myself in the recording session. Please suggest me how to register myself. When I was try to register myself, Message have been shown too spam.

please suggest

Hi Everyone! That’s my first time I use that forum. I read your e-mail Torsten, and what made me curious was the way I can improve my pronunciation. I listened to all of the audio streams added to this topic and I was amazed, because I did similar thing to this what Dimitar was talking about. Actually, I start talking to myself when I was in the U.S. that might sound funny, but I decided that if I’m finally in country where the leading language is english, I should try to think in that language. I also read books in english, watch American movies, try to read interesting me information in english rather than in my national language. What can help is to watch movies with subtitles. Sometimes I got lost during an action of a movie. There was many factors, I didn’t know a word or just because a character was talking too fast. Because I can see how an unknown word is written, I always look for it up in dictionary. I have everywhere small pieces of paper with words I didn’t know or just wasn’t sure if the meaning I remembered was completely correct. I know that I speak too fast. Sometimes I stop talking, trying to find appropriate word, and that makes me a little embarrassed. Also, I need to work on is my voice. Many people ask me to speak up. To conclude, an advice to all who are learning a foreign language: speak slow and loud. It really helps.

Hi! I am Synat, I faced lots of problems in pronuciation in English. It is the first time I listen to all people in the Forum. I am really interesting to the topic how to improve the pronuciation. I want to improve my pronuciation because I am really hard to listen to BBC or CNN and also American movies. Thanks in advance

Dear Sir

I would like to tell you regarding pronunciation and accent, which is very very
difficult to follow everyone like you, prounciation will difffer from country
to country, state to state, person to person. So You cannot expect everyone to
be like you. I regret to tell you I cannot pronunce like you even if I repeatedly listen
your voice. So improving pronunciation is different that few people will like
to do that, it is not possible,from my schooldays, how my teacher taught me
only I can do.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hello everybody!
Today I heard Dimitar’s story about his pronunciation skill’s developing. And I’m so glad to know that I’m not the only one crazy person who speaks to herself:}. Thank you, Dimitar for sharing your story!
When we speak to ourselves in our mind, I’m sure that most of us feel very comfortable and fluent. However, when we speak aloud, we often lost that imaginary confidence and might feel even ashamed of ourselves:}. This uneasy disappears with practice. Don’t give up! This is really a briliant way to develop your pronunciation and speaking skills!!!

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

I like the accent . it’s easy to understand.
Marita

hi mr. torsten i want to satisfy in to get more information from you and from the forum so please accept me.

Thank you so much sir. Today when i got this lesson i became so happy. i am suffering from pronunciation. when other people didn’t understand my pronunciation i was embrassed and i’d not come any word to say again.my english is poor but now i hope your lesson can push me to learn english

Hi Sharm,
To improve your pronounciation and accent skill you can find in our forum itself
i.e.(near to post reply you can find listening, pronounciation and accent training)
through which you can easily improve your pronounciation and accent,
once you learn that, you keep practicing voice message in the forum, there
you can find your improvement of the same.

Thank you,

S.Shanthi

As I heared the best way to improove your pronunciation is listening to BBC

One way you can improve your pronounciation by watching BBC News.
But it is very difficult to understand since they speak very fast. For initial stage
you should practice with forum only. In TOEIC LISTENING you can listen
their accent and prononciation it will help you to lmprove a lot.

Thanking you

S.Shanthi