Torsten has opened up a new subject that I think interests us all.
The reason why people of no great abilities or skill do succeed
is quite simply because they know what they want and have decided to concentrate on ONLY that one thing until they have got it. They are not prepared to compromise their values, ethics, principles, decisions etc. OR they do compromise their values etc. just to get what they want. They are that determined that they have the staying power through all kinds of trials and errors. When they are down, they simply get up, brush off the dust and carry on.
I think the main power comes through having a definite purpose,
mission, belief or life philosophy because that is the source of the spiritual energy that fuels the fire.
There is a saying about success which reads :
DO WHAT YOU REALLY ENJOY DOING AND THE REST WILL FOLLOW.
That means money, opportunities, friends, contracts, travel,
etc. and most of all; happiness, self-worth, self-actualisation,
self-realisation and a feeling of being in harmony with yourself
and the universe.
The main problem for most of us is deciding exactly what we want or what we want to be. According to a mathematical equation, 20% of the world population know exactly what they want and who they are, and the other 80% have no real idea.
So I think the answer is :
KNOWING WHAT YOU REALLY WANT, what you really enjoy doing, and who you want to be and certainly having a definite purpose, mission, belief or life philosophy.
The other clich? qualities which one reads about like -
Definite Decision, Passion & Fire, Will Power, Discipline,
Die Hard, Never Give Up, Go to bed early, Get up early,
etc. I think will follow on quite naturally as a basic motivation.
I think most of us equate success with stacks of money.
I do certainly because money is freedom, but just money alone will not create my happiness. There are enough millionaires out there to confirm that. No, success is also being myself, and making personal achievements however big or small. I want to the feeling of having mastered particular skills. I also want to be doing something I really enjoy and have a mission & purpose. I enjoy writing, drawing, travelling, drama/acting, starting new creative projects, teaching English & cross-cultural subjects, climbing, scuba-diving, learning something new everyday, pioneering work of any kind, keeping up with all new developements in the world, cultures ancient and new, psychology, esoteric subjects, metaphysics, yoga.
I would like to build a self-sustaining house made of natural materials and with alternative energy, learn to fly a aeroplane,
learn to drive a formula 1 racing car, learn to be a shoalin priest and kung-fu master, a samurai warrior, a statesman, an astronaut, a jet fighter pilot, start a new school of education containing a balance of esoteric and exoteric subjects for the coming generations of children and adults, start a new political party based on the Libertarian party of the USA and the Yoga system of Patanjali and the Bhagavad Gita in India.
I?ve decided I need at least 500 years on this planet to get all this and lots more things done.
If I don?t reach 500 then I?ll be coming back a few times more.
What do you all think about that???