How should I start SAT preparing?

hello.
i will be taking my sat on the 24th of January.
i’ve just finished exams, so i wasn’t able to start preparing earlier.
BUT OH NO, I ONLY HAVE LIKE A MONTH LEFT.
:cry: :?
do you believe that is enough time?
and how should i start preparing?
your help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you!
:slight_smile:

ALSO, if someone would know of a site where i can post a sat practice essay and have it graded, it would be a huge amount of help. THANK YOU SO MUCH. :smiley:

have you taken any practice exams? this will give you a better sense on where you are and how to get where you want to be.

College Board has its own book of tests (8 from what i recall), if you haven’t already, take some full tests under testing conditions to figure out your goal score, strengths and weaknesses.

based on that, target either your weak spots or analyze which areas you can improve most efficiently. Since you only have 1 month, you should decide where your time is best spent.

e.g. if your math score is higher than writing, but you are good in math or are confident in it, you may just want to try and max out your math score (esp since you don’t have a lot of time)

if you need to boost your critical reading score quickly, try using the Princeton Review’s Hit Parade - it has a lot of the common SAT vocab words that are used. For the long term, reading and looking at new vocab will help here.
There are some neat ways to easily remember words here: teennotebook.com/2008/03/26/exce … ocabulary/

good luck!

@Sputnik: Now you around 16 days left for the exams…I think the best way to go about is…appear for some practice tests…based upon your performance …focus on Maths or English (specific topics)…then again appear for tests and evaluate your performance.

You can post your essays and get it graded. link for the same is: sat.learnhub.com . Post your essay one of the expert will either mail you or call you to give you feedback. There are more than 6000 students appearing for SAT 2009 are posting their queries, that will also help you.

For Essays you can do this: sat.learnhub.com/lesson/page/1506-how-to-structure-a-clear-essay

For essay, you better check out this one: academichacker.com/sat-essay … -part-1-4/

It’s a guaranteed 12 and anyone can do it. The essay portion is the most predictable portion, so it’s not about the English level, it’s about knowing the way, and THAT is the way. Good luck!

First get The college Board’s Official SAT study guide has all you need from test taking strategy to 8 sample SAT tests. It is by the people who make the test so you cant get closer to the real thing. Then get the book Answers and Explanations by Peter Tanguay. It gives you the FASTEST way to answer the 8 sample tests in the college board’s official SAT study guide. Any book can show you how to answer these questions, this book shows you how to get them the Fastest way. Since the SAT is a timed test this is what you really need.

Well…since you mention you have a very short time.Reading things and remembering them is going to be a tough ask.How about using some video lectures.They would be very helpful and quick way of learning things.You can find them at this site www.grevocabulary.org

blue book all the way

I like BB and Princeton Review. Kaplan is a little too easy IMO. Have you considered ebooks as well? There are a lot of ebooks aimed at specific scores and they outline the study plan you’ll need to achieve that score. I used my-sat.com/index.html, because it’s affordable and comes with a lot of extras. A friend of mine used Nova’s SAT ebook and did well too, but I did better. I only got 1700 on my first practice test, but when it came time for the real thing, I walked away with 2200! I bet you can do it too, just find what works for you!

you should start by buying couple of preparation books - i usually buy mine from half.com, bc they are cheap- and then take practice tests…i use practicethesat.com, bc its free and their material is really good and bc they give out $20 to the top scorer ea week…a++

good stuff Robert; i have been using them too to practice every saturday morning; ur right its awesome

no problem, i lke to share good and useful stuff…see you tomorrow at the test 11am est…

I found a site: www.perfect800.com. They offer hundreds of free SAT Math questions, and you can sort by difficulty and question type, so you can really pick problems that work for you. They also have leveling up and challenges which give it a video game like feel. It’s awesome!

you can try this software and tell us how much it was useful to build vocabularies
freevocabtest.com

One of my friend joined THe Chopras for SAT,and in short time he did really well, you can try contacting them.Along with that you can do some hard self work too.Wish you all the luck.

I think underlining and note taking is the key to doing well on the reading test. Many passages are long and boring. The last thing you want to do is read them again. So you should make every effort to grasp the gist of the passage the first time you read it.

You should get the EZ Solutions books for the SAT or ACT as these books has all such suggestions plus everything you’ll need to know. Also get the Official Guide to practice real test questions.

I’m planning on studying the basics on my own, once I get the basics down, I will try taking some prep courses to put it altogether.

I would recommend you some tips for reading comprehension to start!
actually, I am the one who leaped up from the bottom score to one of the best scores lol

Firstly, vocabulary is extremely important for having good reading skills, so memorizing the new vocabs with similar meaning words would give a person a good memorization
Even though the specific word is not flashed upon, having its atmosphere is also very important

Secondly, to memorize a lot of vocabs, repete the words that are unfamiliar with you

Third, figure out the patterns of the text. you have to find out the patterns of the text by logically thinking (finding the evidences in the text, not

I, personally, want to recommend a book that helped my reading: “SAT Critical Reading Game” written by James Hong. It teaches you how you should approach reading texts. Through this book, I started to enjoy the reading section, not any more horrified by it.

Use the Blue Book and learn from your mistakes. It helped me greatly, and still does.

I would only use real tests. The books from other test prep companies aren’t quite the same as the real thing, particularly for the critical reading.