How many women are killed by their partners every year?

Violence against women is a pandemic on top of the COVID-19 pandemic that has intensified by an estimated 40%. What exactly does that mean? Well, as has been the case for thousands of years women are being humiliated, exploited, discriminated, exploited and even killed by their husbands and male partners. In my country every a woman is killed by her partner every third day and it seems nobody cares. I’ve just read that “Salesforce’s Einstein platform is now serving over 80 billion predictions per day”.

Now, how about we create an AI that predicts which woman is going to be killed by her partner when? Instead, we collectively are doing everything we can in order to constantly increase our consumption raising the GDP yet another percentage point in the process.

4 Likes

It’s a fantastic idea, Torsten!
Violence against women is a more dangerous pandemic than Covid-19. No country is an exception. Reports say that incidents of cruelty to women are on the increase in India too in the wake of the incidence of the current pandemic.
Can we successfully deploy the AI, as you suggest, for the purpose of bringing the number of casualties to a steep fall?

3 Likes

Hi Lawrence, my suggestion to use AI in order to predict when a woman will get brutalized was actually meant to be sarcastic. I find it absolutely unacceptable that we are using new technologies such as AI to increase consumption and maximize shareholder profits instead of trying to eliminate violence and exploitation.

As for your question, I’m sure we could use AI to predict and prevent acts of violence and cases of modern day slavery as these examples show: https://www.thefreedomproject.org/

However, the fastest and easiest way to drastically reduce violence against women is to launch a universal basic income for women which would allow them to leave their abusive male partners and live on their own. A UBI would give women and other vulnerable people the freedom to make much better choices regarding the way they want to live.

3 Likes

Yes, education plays an important role in uplifting women. They should be given equal rights and opportunities so that they can earn their own income and become independent.
However, if there is any possibility of predicting anything that would prevent atrocities against women, it should be supported by all means.

3 Likes

Well, alcohol plays a big role in this. I have not studied the murder of women specifically, but I’ve spent considerable time digging through stats on murder in general ( mostly in the US ).

There are a surprising small number of high risk flags. Avoiding those few things brings the likelihood of murder to almost nothing. An abusive spouse is one of those flags, especially when paired with alcohol.

3 Likes

That sound horrible, Torsten. Violence against women needed to be stopped. I believe it would be involved about toxic parenting. If they were raise by toxic parents, they would grow up to have that kinds of behavior from the parents as well. People who killed their partners may have s mental illness from childhood trauma.

I don’t think creating an Al that predicts which woman is going to be killed by her partner is the answer to this problem. In my opinion, we have to look into the roots of the problem such as a preventive measure by government against toxic parents. By doing this, the children would raise properly and happily. :slight_smile:

3 Likes