How I scored a 760 on the GMAT

I took the GMAT exam the other week and I couldn’t believe it when the screen showed that I had scored in the top 1% in the GMAT Exam (I a 760). I decided to take the GMAT because one of my goals has always been an MBA. Right now my dream would be attending either Harvard of Stanford.

I thought to share how I was able to improve my score from a 600 to 760. I couldn’t afford to pay for a class so I studied all on my own. A few of my friends to Manhattan GMAT or Princeton Review classes, but I learnt everything myself.

To give you a heads up, those 3 months that I studied were a pain. I averaged over 6 hours of studying a day.

Remember that this is my own personal experience, and it’s only meant to be a guideline.

1. The exam can be beaten. It is standardized test so you will begin to see the same questions.

2. The first thing I did was buy the official GMAT book and take a practice test. I didn’t do well but at least I knew what it was like.

3. There are 300 questions in the official guide and I did them all and review. Remember to always review your questions (you should spend more time reviewing than you do on the exam itself)

4. Visit www.mba.com and you can download 2 free official GMAT exams. I found some very similar questions on the actual test

5. Try to find the Kaplan 800 review book or Manhattan GMAT books. I thought these were the best books

6. I think I took around 20 practice exams.

7. For practice questions I signed up for www.2minuteGMAT.com; they sent me questions every day which helped

8. It took me a few hours to finally fall asleep, so i only ended up sleeping for 4 hrs, but still the stress of the exam is enough to get you through. Don’t take any sleeping tablets; they aren’t necessary.

Last but not least, make sure to practice.

Feel free to message me if you want any more tips/advice.

Was this post helpful to anyone? I’d be happy to answer any messages anyone had.

wont it be better if i study the concepts first then start practicing.

How did you go for reading comprehension i find myself spending most of the time in solving those.

Hi Ricka343,

I recommend you study the concepts while you practice with GMAT questions. It’ll help you learn the material if you practice at the same time.

I would take a lot of practice questions for reading comprehension; you can find free practice tests at MBA.com, Knewton.com, and ManhattanGMAT.com.

congrats for the score. I think its my turn to do it, I have seen my wife study for more than 6 hours a day when she was preparing for the USMLE, I should have sat with her completed the GMAT, but was lazy and sat in front of the Idiot box and spend my time. But now I think I need to get this GMAT test done which is hovering over me for past few years, I think the time has come .

Best of luck for yours admission process for the school of ur choice.

What did you do with the essay, sweetheart. That would be great if you can tell me your tips on writing. I am trying to do it in a right way but do not know how. If you have time, can you take a look at my essay, I have post it in the forum.
Anyway, did you apply to B-school. I guess that you will make it to the top ten school. Congraduation. And please stay in touch with us here. I guess there a lot of things you could share with us :slight_smile:

Blackswallow,

If you’d like to send me your essay I can take a look at it. For the essay, the best idea is to purchase a strategy guide (Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT, etc…). Most of the prep books gave good directions on how to do well on the essay.

Hi Terry,

That was very kind of you. I’d love to send you my essay. Could you pls give me you email. My Yahoo is: ccny1986@yahoo.com. I also want to ask you about Gmat and you application in Harvard process. I believe that you will get it.
Thanks in advance