How fast can you type?

Hi, I read many reply here, and I like to share my experience, not only experience for typing, but more important for me , to use my english, ok, I was typing very fast 10 years ago, because I was work in office and use every time machine, don`t was computer yet, and typing fast and very good, but, not in English, maybe little blah blah now, but, sorry, my friends, now, I typing normally, I use computer, and I need to watch my keyboard, but not every moment, but, I need to watch ,to watch my words are correct or no, because my english, I think is now more easy for me, but, I still learned.thanks. sinqerely Borjana.

maybe because of the spelling thats why they dont reply even they likeā€¦so it affects the typing speedā€¦
i can say that my typing speed is not slow. i can rate myselfā€¦in the middleā€¦

hi ! iā€™am very happy to read you, and waht you said it very importan because many of us can speak a lot but they canā€™t write ! so i would like to say to evrybody whoā€™s member or interest to do his best to write more ! and then we can know how our english is growing up!

i will stop by there , i wish good things to evrybody who will read this message .

sincerely, gomez

Hi Jamie,

How long do you think would it take for an adult to learn how to type properly? By the way, is there an English word or phrase that describes this skill? Also, have you ever measured your typing speed and if so do you count the words or characters you type per minute?

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Building high[YSaerTTEW443543]

I first learned to type by chatting. And of course some of my fingers are on the wrong keys, one of them is the ā€œshiftā€ key. I only got corrected when I started doing programming. The professor gave us one week to master this skill. As I remember it, we used a simple software. We were young, but I think you can consider us as adults, but we were also very eager, so it didnā€™t take long. And most of the typings I did are in Japanese, so it can only get as fast, we have to constantly pause to select the Chinese characters.

Oh yes, I think itā€™s annoying to type on a non-Japanese keyboard when everytime Iā€™m back in Malaysia. The keyboards are surprisingly different!

I have no idea how long it should take and adult to learn to type properly, and it all depends on what you consider properly. I canā€™t say how long it took me, because I left typing class in high school as a rather mediocre typist, and then I lost the skill from lack of use. With great struggle I revived it in an office job about eight years later, but I never got good on the type of keyboards current then, because I think they were specifically designed for women with long fingernails. Once I got a computer, I began typing very fast, but itā€™s hard for me to say how fast, because Iā€™ve never timed myself. All I know is that if I type my first name, it often almost sounds like just one tap. It was also fast enough to make one of my friends get jealous and take a typing class recently. I think it took her about one semester to get up to 25 words a minute, but then, English is not her native language, and ours is a foreign alphabet for her. However, I think she learned as fast as the Americans.

There are still things I donā€™t do well in typing. For example, I was never good at the number keys, and if Iā€™m not using a keyboard with a keypad, numbers really slow me down.

Hi Jamie,

Maybe itā€™s time for you to test yourself? :slight_smile:

speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com/

It might not be the most precise test out there, but it will certainly measure your overall skill.

By the way, 25 WPM is considered rather low.

Regards

Hello,
I learned to type with the computer program ā€œMavis Beacon Teaches Typingā€, and I really liked it. Now, I can type 40-50 word per minute, and I am improving my typing day after day.
Thank you all!

Hi every body,
I learnt to type by myself in 2001. When we had the first computer, my mother gave us a floppy disk which had a software teach to practice typing. With that software, we learnt to type using 10 fingers. Then, I try to type my essays and my exercises by myself. And sometime, I help my friends to type their exercises. So I can type very fast without see the keyboard. But thatā€™s only right when I type in my tongue. When I type in English, itā€™s slower. Because, I rarely type in English, I often write. Sometime, when Iā€™m typing in English, I donā€™t remember or donā€™t sure how those words spell. So I have to write them or look up in my dictionary. Itā€™s affect typing speed.
Now, Iā€™m practicing to type in English. I hope I will type in English as fast as in my tongue.

iā€™m very happy to read your message ,me too i have one experience with the computer because i was working in the internet shop in 2006 and then i was oblige to type some paper like cv, invtation card etcā€¦so i used to type with my one hand but my manager told me that i should use my ten fingers ! it was the hell for me ! because i always failed! and when i took this habit seriousily it become a game for me until now! so i would like to say to evrybody to do his best to be fast! maybe itā€™s not so easy to type in engish but right now i tried to explain you my experience ! so i know that you can also!

hi everybody,
i had never been to any typing course.
what i know about this i learned by myself! because i love surf on internet! iā€™m everyday infront of the computer!!
i prectise in MSN with my new cousins from EUA, at myspace, and here.
for me it is pretty easy, if a already know what iā€™m going to write.
iā€™m very happy because iā€™m better day after day!! but iā€™m still looking at the keyboard!
but i think in english, i write in english and speak english very fast!!
but what is a big problem to me is the grammar!!
sometimes i forget some details of grammar!!
:oops:
i donā€™t like to write wrong!!

that is why iā€™m here!!
if i learn this details, iā€™m certain that i will write faster!!
^^
kisses. :smiley:

hi there,
Iā€™m a learner of English.I want to improve it more than now as itā€™ s a global language.Iā€™m a bit fast in typing as Iā€™m fond of chatting with my friends.It improves my typing rate more and more.
So,let me suggest all of you to take a chat with your friend if you want to be fast in your typing.
At first,Iā€™m a bit late.It fail me to speak with my pal so,i try to make fast.
NOw, Iā€™m the faster oneā€¦
Try your best!

I have no problem in typing as English alphabet is the same as Indonesian alphabet.

for me i prefer typing than speaking, because english is my third language, when i type i can well explain i have all my time to think about words, one thing to signal is i feel that i think in french in my mind than i translate to english in the same time and quickly, itā€™s bad but i canā€™t do better, i need to speak english all the time, but i donā€™t know how to do this? i live now in Morocco,and the opportunity to do so doesnā€™t exist !!!

Hi! Well for me typing is a skills. Even in grades school typing is required today. When I was a kid i saw my mom type her letter very past without looking on a keyboard. So, what I did was I practiced my typing like inserting the bond paper, type my name, type anything that I wanted.

When I graduated in High School, I took up computer secretarial course and applied my experience on typing. I got 80-90 wpm. Now that Iā€™m working it is easy for me to prepare my work.

hi , actully i like chatting and i think that is the reason i could type fast :smiley: , Although i am not very good in english but im trying to do my best and i think im doing well :slight_smile: . I just want to say that if u have resolve u can do what u want :slight_smile:
thnx

hi all
I want to make friend with youā€¦

well ,
the punctuations are really important while making a sentence
but during chatting i avoid them coz they are actually not needed and people really dont concentrate on punctuationsā€¦
but these dayz while chatting iā€™m using punctuations which makes some sense

Hi everybody,

To be honest, I signed in this website from a long time but I did not participate in its topics. It was only one time when I asked a help to improve my English in both writing and speaking which I am very weak in. I really need to be fluent in this language since I am studying translation from Arabic to English and vise versa. So, I decided from this moment to share you people my replies and opinions in most topics and as much as I can. In terms of typing skills, I Iā€™d like to say that although I fond on chatting with friends sometimes, my typing skill is not that good because I keep looking at the keyboard either if I write in English or even in my mother language which is Arabic. I remember my first lesson in typing in high school. The teacher taught us how to type in a good and fast way by following the rules of typing. Unfortunately, I could not follow these rules because I faced difficulty in typing by using the right finger in the right key at the keyboard. Also, I was thinking that these rules are not necessary for me because I do not deal with computer that much. When I graduated and joined the faculty, I discovered that I was wrong by thinking in that way especially we had to do a lot of work by using computer. Now, my typing is not that bad but also not good. I am still slow in typing because I keep looking at the keyboard and use the wrong fingers while typing. I hope I can improve this skill if it is not too late especially I will graduate from the college in a year and I do not want to face any embarrassing situation in my future career as a translator ā€¦. Thanks

Meera

Hi everybody,

I didnā€™t have much time to learn English with your online lessons these days. But Iā€™m very glad I started again to use this great opportunity.
The main reason why I donā€™t reply to the forumā€™s messages is because of time concern.
I do not think the lessons are complicated, at all. Actually, it is very easy and pleasant way of learning with you, especially now through the Audio lessons.

Iā€™m not very fast in typing, unfortunately, still the typing was part of my work and it would be again once I get a job :-).I didnā€™t have luck to learn it in my university as many others in the US and North America. Our educational system was different from yours guys, so many of Albanian people from Kosovo are writing with two fingers :-), except the professional typewriters.

We all have different experiences behind us; good and the bad ones .And I can understand when we donā€™t want to be with our nation either for a short or long period of time. It can happened for all of us. But it sounds pretty hard to me to hear that a human being might have bad feelings about his/her native language. Because, people sometimes can do bad things but why should a language, even it is Arabic, suffer for that?
Since some time ago I started to learn English for my personal needs but also because I liked it very much. Still today, when it comes to express my deepest feelings, through writing, singing or just talking, there is not a language that I can do in better or easer way but in Albanian. I do love and respect my language as I do the other languages.

Wish for all a great weekend.