How do you pronunce 'digest'?

Do you pronounce the first syllable in ‘digest’ as a schwa or as daɪ’?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Air hostess[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I would put the stress on the second syllable when it is used as a verb and the first syllable when used as a noun. As a noun it has the sense of a condensed version of something much larger. Reader’s Digest is a magazine which also publishes well known novels in a reduced form for those who can’t be bothered to read the whole book.

Alan

Me:

to dJEST
the dJESTion of…
the dJESTive system
a DAIjest

On this side of the pond, the syllable stress follows the same pattern that Alan mentioned.

I pronounce both the noun and the verb with a long I (aɪ) in the first syllable. However, on this side of the pond, I’ve also heard people pronounce the verb with a schwa instead. In fact, come to think of it, I think I pronounce it that way sometimes, too. OMG! I pronounce it both ways! What a fence-sitter I am! :wink:

Novels in reduced form? Gasp! Clearly you’re against such a preposterous idea, Alan.

Has it occurred to you that somepeople (oops! I mean some people!) think that publishing tests that are not themselves correct is a preposterous idea?
Don’t you think that it might seem especially preposterous if the author of a test can’t be bothered to fix some thing (oops! I mean something!) even though the error has been pointed out? :wink: