How do you pronounce "puma"?

Hello every,

How do you pronounce the word “puma”? Does it read ['pju:mə] or ['pu:mə]?

Regards,
Infin1ty

I think both are acceptable – ['pju:mə] as well as ['pu:mə].[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A kickboxer is practising[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I would go for the first one.

Alan

I would also go with the first pronunciation.

So you’ve got agreement on two continents.

Dear Torsten,
Hi,
I would go for the first one.So I think the fist one is right.
Thanks

Hello Jamie,

Sometimes, I find it hard for me to distinguish between “I can” and “I can’t”. I think American people pronounce them almost the same. :slight_smile:

Some of the British pronounce it the same way. We can hear the difference and aren’t confused.

Keep in mind what I read in the teacher’s notes of one British ESL book I taught from in Europe:

Most of the British pronounce “can’t” as [kant], and some of the British and most of the Americans pronounce “can’t” as [kænt]. It doesn’t matter which way a person pronounces this word, and it shouldn’t cause any confusion either way, because usually neither nation pronounces the full vowel when they say “can”. “Can” usually sounds like [kən] or [kn] in both countries.

So, if you hear an American or a Briton say, “I can go,” it sounds like, “I [kn] go.” We only pronounce the full vowel [a] or [æ] when we are saying “can’t” or when we are really stressing the word “can”. In both of those situations it’s easy to hear.

Thank you Jamie for your detail explanation. Have a nice day! :smiley:

Hi, Could you please help me how to pronounce these words.
Defiance, Compliance, Disobedience, and Adolescent.
Thank you.

Hi Zena,

This is how I would pronounce these words: Defiance, Compliance, Disobedience, and Adolescent.

Alan

Hi Allan,
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciated.
I have other words, is it possible to send it to you on this forum?
Please let me know.
Thank you again.

Zena.

Hi Zena,

Please go ahead and send them.

Alan

Hi Mr. Allan,

These are other words for today. Exhibit, Cruelty, Burglary, Truant, Acquiescent, Anaphylactic. Parallel, Rumours, Genuine.

Thank you again for your help.

Zena.

Hi Zena,

These words: Exhibit, Cruelty, Burglary, Truant, Acquiescent, Anaphylactic. Parallel, Rumours, Genuine.

Alan (spoken by Alan’s wife)

Hi Mr. Alan,

Thank you & your wife. I really appreciated all your help.

Zena.