How do you deal with snow in your country?

Hi,

How do you deal with snow in your country? In the last few days most of the UK has had its first real taste of snow (if I can put it like that) for some time. The average depth was some 10 centimetres! It became headline news most of yesterday. Schools closed and police advised eceryone not to drive unless it was absolutely necessary.

Alan

1 Like

Hi Alan, :slight_smile:

I spent some of my school years in the city where snow fell down in December and melted in March and for all winter it was more than 10 cm. :slight_smile:
Ice-drifting on the city river (quite big) started at the end of April and we ran away from the school to see it and to hear how the ice cracked.

When the temperature happened to be below -30 C, schools were cancelled – and we went sledging. :slight_smile:

Now it’s warmer there.
(But anyway, in Russia car tyres are always ‘winterized’ to reduce risk of winter driving.)

Yesterday, as UK school was cancelled as well :), my son with his friends had a great snowfall fight instead. You should have seen him after! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like snow much more even as Sun,it is maybe a matter of time you get used to everything.
I have seen in Aberdeen some snow just two days ago, tonight back home I can see much more and it is same story as usual people just drive or walk and take the risk.
My daughter has “forced” me to make the snowman out in the garden.My dog is finally final clean enough to take him home.Snow has many good sides as well as you see…
Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Glad to see you. Welcome back. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

In northern Wisconsin (and much of the northern United States – Alaska, the Dakotas, Montana, the Great Lakes states, and New England), snow is a way of life for about half of the year.

By April, people start hating the snow.

minocqua.org/?mcd=gallery

In Nashville (in the South), it is not. when there’s snow here, people go nuts – they can’t drive in it, they play in it, they call off school on the suspicion of snow… which is hilarious when you wake up the next day and there isn’t any snow or ice. rofl.

any snow we get here is generally gone within a day or two.

1 Like

Hi all:) Alan thank you for this topic,I’ve remembered snowfall in my country.

I like snow, and making snowman,snowball fightings…but it’s a pity in Azerbaijan, especially in Baku, we can’t see much snow:( Only in late december,this year there was really fine snow:) and I was satisfied with it.Because all the way from my university all around attacked me with that huge snowballs ( even if when they didn’t know me:)) and that gave me great pleasure to play with them:) When at last I could reach home, hehehe I was looking like Tamara’s snowman :slight_smile: It was really funny,but now there’s no snow and the sun shines just like in spring or the fall:(

1 Like

In southern Michigan they cancel school and close many workplaces when six inches of snow falls. In northern Michigan, a foot of snow isn’t even an excuse to be late for school. In northern Michigan people put flags on their car antennas in the winter, because without them, piles of snow make it impossible to see oncoming cars at intersections.

Once, in Texas, my brother was stopped by a policeman who shouted at him, “Slow down, boy! Can’t you see it’s snowin’ like hell out here?” To a Michigander, the snow looked like light swirls of pixie dust, and my brother told him, “Where I come from we don’t even call this snow.” The patrolman heard my brother’s accent, went to the back of the car, saw his Michigan plate, and then let him go with a friendly request to drive slowly so as not to scare the Texans.

1 Like

Well, I am always impressed by snowy weather. I get a great pleasure from strolling through the park when it’s snowing and everything around is snowed in. But I am lucky to contemplate this picturesque scenery no more than a day. As usual the next day happens to be extremely warm and the snow disappears within a split second.

1 Like

It doesn’t often snow in Tbilisi ,but I love when it does…

1 Like

I was going to write something about snow in Baku, or my native town Mingacevir, but Medeya has already posted something about it. I just want to add that we recently had very heavy snow in the country. Although everybody is happy to have snow like in Georgia, it creates lots of mess in terms of service provision…

1 Like

The question in 2020 is 'How do you deal with the horrific consequences of global warming?

1 Like