How can I reach out to all the lurkers?

I wonder how it might be possible to get a reaction from those users who visit the forum on a daily basis but never even hit the like button. The obvious answer is ‘create more compelling content’ but sometimes that’s a challenge. So, how do I turn lurkers into active community members?

5 Likes

I observe that many participants, who were very active before the face-lift of the website, have stopped using the forum now.

I suggest that you introduce what may be called ‘(Best) Question of the Week’ so that it may encourage users to post their questions and interact with others, and also to hit the like button.

3 Likes

Hi Lawrence, thanks a lot for your response. We had to switch from the ancient phpBB platform to a new system that is mobile-friendly and gives us at least some chance to compete with social media giants like Facebook, Instagram, WeChat, Quora, Reddit, VKontatke, YouTube, Twitter, Narver, etc. So, it was not exactly a ‘face-lift’ but a crucial decision that I should have made much earlier.

I realize that is not exactly what you were referring to but I thought it might be interesting to highlight again the fact that nowadays there are so many platforms available competing with each other that I’m really challenged to think more deeply about how exactly I can create value. Come to think of it, I actually like the competition.

Now, one thing I need to initiate is a process that interconnects that the site more with the forum and vice versa. Most of our forum users don’t understand that we also have a site and the vast majority of our site users don’t know what the mysterious ‘forum’ is. I have collected quite some ideas especially after our meeting today with Sumejja and Tim. The bottom line is that we need more ‘internal links’. For example, are you aware of our new articles such as this one: World risks permanent surveillance with coronavirus controls | english.best

What do you think of it? Who do you think this type of article can be interesting to?

2 Likes

I think you are right, dear Anglophile. I was absent for a long time because I underwent a grave accident. Now I feel shy to return my English study. Could you help me? My regards.

4 Likes

Hi @Cristovam! I’m sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you’re feeling better now! We would love to help you return to your studies at your own pace and to assist you with whatever you need. But in this case, we’ll need you to lead the way - tell us in what way you feel stuck, and we’ll work together to find the best approach to your problem. What do you say? :handshake:

2 Likes

Very good idea. Lets work together. I think I have an acceptable vocabulary for my level that is intermediate in my opinion, but, sometimes, I fail in grammar. Can I ask for feedback here in that forum? One thing you dont know about me: I`m an old man, so my English learning is more complicated. My regards.

3 Likes

Please ask us anything you want to know! Correcting grammar is best when it’s done on an example. If you feel up to it, would you like to tell us something more about yourself? That way, we get to know you better, and we can also point out any mistakes. I can give you an example by telling you more about myself.

My name is Sumejja and I come from Bosnia and Herzegovina, a small European country that used to be part of Yugoslavia up until 30 years ago. I’m married and have a son who is turning one year old in a few days. In my free time, I like to bake and crochet, as well as play video games. I like rock music and fantasy books. I actually met my husband at an Iron Maiden concert! My wish in life is to leave the world slightly better than I found it. I’m looking forward to getting to know you better!

2 Likes

Id like to understand why the following expression: "Im looking forward to getting to know better" you used the verbs looking and getting in the gerund. I know its correct but I dont understand. Thank in advance for your help.

3 Likes

The first gerund ‘looking’ is part of the present progressive and the second one is a noun since the phrasal verb ‘to look forward to’ is followed by a noun:

I look forward to our next trip.
I look forward to the future.
I look forward to working again.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

PS: Please note that there is a difference between it’s and its.

2 Likes

Dear Cristovam, I hope you have completely recovered from the post accident trauma. You’re welcome. Let’s sail together on the forum.

3 Likes

This is how I explain the concept to my students.

The to in I look forward to is a preposition, not the infinitive marker. As you know, after a preposition only a noun or a verbal noun (gerund) can appear.

Accordingly I`m looking forward to getting … is correct. (Here getting is a gerund)

3 Likes

I never visited the forum in the days when you had a different platform. I really like the current platform. It’s much easier to use than other platforms I have tried.

2 Likes

You have a great resource here for students: they can get quick help with their English doubts. Perhaps the issue is that they don’t know it is free for them to get their questions answered. I even thought it was too good to be true! My suggestion is to put up a banner saying ‘get your English questioned answered’ or something like that.

2 Likes