Hi, what exactly is a buzz word?

Hi, what exactly is a buzz word? I understand it’s a term that is used by somebody who wants to impress others. As far as I know a buzz word doesn’t mean much but it sure sounds like an important word. Is that right? Or are there any positive aspects about buzz words? Waiting to hear your opinions.

Can you give some samples of buzz words?

Hi Alex,

Every industry or development creates its own buzzword. For example, I would classify the word elearning (or e-learning) as a buzzword because it is often used without giving a clear definition.
Please, mind the spelling: buzzword. (one word).[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: How many sick days do we get each year?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello, would you classify the term unique selling proposition (USP) as a buzzword? After all, there is no clear definition for this term, is there? And so many people who want to sound intelligent seem to use it.

I found a funny link dedicated to buzzwords :slight_smile:

buzzwhack.com/

Hehehe :smiley: Thanks, Katarzyna.
Look, what I found:

microwaiting: The time spent in front of the employee break room microwave while your lunch heats up. Regularly occurs a few minutes before noon and is generally not reported as a part of the lunch hour.
Nominated by Christopher Paulin

I had to share that with you :smiley: :smiley:

Yes, it made my laugh too:)
Maybe we will invent something new about learning English ? :wink:

I think the term unique selling proposition (USP) is an established marketing term which has a definition. However, if you use this word too often then of course it can lose its meaning and gradually turn into a buzz word.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you think anyone can make a living out of simply writing books?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Another sophisticated expression instead of ‘slogan’?:slight_smile:

USP / unique selling proposition / is a commonly used term in Business English that means a special quality which each product possesses and which makes it different from other products and hence attractive to customers [e.g. A catchy brand name and a reasonable price make this product a unique selling proposition]. A good example of USP may be “Fresh, hot pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less, guaranteed”?

Yes, I think, Torsten, it may quickly become a buzzword when people learn its meaning and start selling themselves ;). The first place I can see it being used are all those matchmakers sites in the Internet :).

I looked at this site and looked at what zerotasking meant.

zerotasking: To do nothing or have nothing to do. Taken from the caption of a New Yorker cartoon, which pictures a serene-looking man plopped in a comfy chair.

Sounds more like an oxymoron to me than a buzzword. :slight_smile: