Hi to everyone, My name is Monica, I am from Argentina...

My name is Mónica, I am from Argentina and I am 37 years old. Well I’m trying to improve my English, so this site seems to me a very interesting and funny way to do it. So please, I need all the help possible to make my English more fluent and of course more correct. Thanks. Bye.

1 Like

hi Monica! Welcome on here :)!

How do you do Monica,
Welcome to the Forum, it is really great.

Hi Monica… .I am Andy from Italy…nice to meet you

have fun here.

Byebye

1 Like

Thanks to all who has given me the welcome. (Is this sentence OK?)

Hello Micky. Welcome to the forum.
The sentence is pretty good.
“Thanks to all who have given me a welcome.” would be even better. :slight_smile:

Thank you Beeesneees for your correction, and now I have learned a new phrase (cheers m’ dears).
Saludos, Micky.

Hi Micky,
You’re welcome to this forum.
Cheers as interjection has three different meanings in English. I was wondering what she means by ‘cheers’?

Thanks for your welcome Richard, but I have another doubt now, you were right about the word cheers , it has different meanings. I think that she meant something like; thanks to my fellows. Does anyone know???

Richard - if you were interested, all you had to do was ask!

‘Cheers’ is a multi-purpose word in the English language, used on a variety of occasions. It’s just a form of welcome. I use it to mean any or all of the following:
Best wishes
To your good health
Thank you
Goodbye.

As for, ‘m’ Dears’
Obviously, you use dear in expressions such as my dear fellow',dear girl’, or `my dear Richard’ when you are addressing someone whom you know and are fond of.

The rhyming expression, “Cheers me dears” is quite a well known saying in the UK. I didn’t want to use it like that as it is grammatically incorrect and I didn’t want to cause confusion between ‘me’ and ‘my’. so I opted to omit the second letter completely in a kind of compromise between the original saying and the grammatically correct version.

Hi Bev.
I’ve been looking for this part:

In fact, I asked it for Micky.

Well, actually, it was a question of mine too, but I didn’t know where (which forum) I can ask this question.
Thank you.

Hi there!
I am Adam, a teacher of English as a second language, from Egypt. I am a new memeber here! I wanna know new persons and get nice friends here. wanna get extra degrees as Master or PHD, participating in researches and studies related to teaching English! Any help is welcomed!
Thank u all!
Best Wishes
Adam

Hello Adam,

The first thing I would suggest is that you stop using the written form ‘wanna’ as the word only exists in pop and rock songs where use of incorrect grammar is notorious. Although it might sound as if people are saying ‘wanna’, ‘gotta’, etc. this is actually just a result of ‘lazy’ speech. The terms are ‘want to’, ‘going to’, etc.

hi Cheers m’dears!
First of all, thanks for replying to my message! And above all, thanks for the good and accepted piece of advice!!! I just use" wanna" and things like it in chatting and just to be quick when I say something!!! By the way, I amnot an American to say these words!!! Just while chatting!!!U r always welcome!!! Tnx again
Adam heart

Hi Adam,

The use of ‘txtspk’ and chat abbreviations are discouraged on this forum, so that less knowledgeable users can pick up good English, not fall into bad habits.
You will find more detailsin the forum introduction here.

Specifically this point.

Hi coach,
Thanks for providing us with the links.

hi, sir.i have confidence to speake english. i have’t any friend to speake eglish. than anybody talk to me in english, i am not understand
what i do. please…

Beeesneees
you explained( Cheers m’ dears) can we use it at the end of a letter instead of :respectfully yours or best regards and if we are writing to 1 person we must write :(CHEERS MY DEAR)

I wouldn’t use it at the end of a letter, because it is very informal.
I’m having second thoughts about my sig now. Perhaps I ought to change it!

Hi Beeesneees,

Just popped in to say that I see no need in you changing your signature text…unless you want to.
I believe it sounds friendly and approachable, and there is very little chance that anyone should regard it otherwise.

Could you tell me if it is alright to use the phrasal verb ‘‘pop in’’ the way I did and if that is very informal ?
Many thanks